Implemented Albums within Categories

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Currently images either get filed in a Category or an Album, theres no possibility for both.

It would seem a logical step to create Albums within Categories.

For example, a Category section called "Pets" would then allow each user to create their own Album in the Pets category so they can post all their pet photos in one Album, but still be relevant under the category.

Upvote 56
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Exactly.

So why do you disagree ?

o_O
I disagreed because your suggestion was that this must be what happens - not that it should be an option. I realised that it could be an option using existing functionality if the OP's suggestion is implemented. So, your other suggestion is no longer needed, just this one.

I'm not understanding this yet. Does anyone know of a solid explanation of Categories vs Albums & how they work together? I don't see the benefit of categories right now, but albums are making sense for my needs. Wondering if I'm missing something? Does anyone make use of both? Is it possible to turn off Categories if we can't find a use for it?

Thanks!

Some thoughts:
Currently images either get filed in a Category or an Album, theres no possibility for both.

I passionately support this request. The admin needs the ability to move the entire album or category into another album or category.

In my own situation, I have photos from over 1,700 zoos, each zoo would have its own category. Currently users can upload photos to any category - but in many cases we end up with dozens of almost identical photos of the same elephant in the same enclosure at the same zoo from multiple users.

My current thinking on how to deal with this (based on a concept for a custom gallery I was about to start building) was to allow users to upload photos to their own personal gallery only. Other users can browse photos within a specific user's gallery, but they are not part of the global media collection.

There's an elegant solution utilized in Coppermine Photo Gallery, which is to offer albums the ability to include 'linked' photos, with photos from other albums being pulled in via similar tags. For example, you would create albums for each zoo. But you could also create 'virtual' albums for specific animals, with the photos linked from the zoo albums.

I agree you should be able to put albums in categories. as the first post said, its great for a category like pets where users can upload an album of their pets.
This would be helpful for so many forum types (gaming, car, animals, artwork....)
e.g. instead of having 5 different pics all of the one car on different angles a category of mustangs it will have 1 album with the 5 pics of their car in that category saving users scrolling through a while bunch of images of the same cars on different angles that they aren't interested in. This could be applied to help a lot of different forum niches.

Even a lot of the other forum softwares such as IPB have this setup. There are tonnes of advantages to having this.

Allowing albums in categories would be great. Please do this :)

For example, a Category section called "Pets" would then allow each user to create their own Album in the Pets category so they can post all their pet photos in one Album, but still be relevant under the category.
I hope this will be implemented!
Antonio

Last edited:
I also think albums within categories would be good, but I also think there should be albums within albums for a very versatile system

We all have different needs.

categories are user created were as categories are made by the admins. if you have both, half the images won't be in categories they'll be in hundreds of random unsorted albums and the categories won't have many images in them because the users want to put their uploads in albums. if they can still put them in albums and the albums can go into categories that will be heaps better then having empty categories and a bunch of unsorted albums.

I thought I was confused before I read this thread, but now I'm totally lost. I don't understand the point of Categories at all, but user albums are pretty self explanatory. I agree with RO'C -- forum members are going to put their content into their own albums, not into admin-created Categories.

We will not be implementing the Media Gallery until there's some consensus of proper usage.

I thought I was confused before I read this thread, but now I'm totally lost. I don't understand the point of Categories at all, but user albums are pretty self explanatory. I agree with RO'C -- forum members are going to put their content into their own albums, not into admin-created Categories.
Look at my site for an example of category use. It's based around gaming genres. Members post media in the appropriate categories. Most videos are ones that others have produced (eg Destiny gaming guides, Warframe information videos etc) but some are also produced by members. A few members use albums for some personal gaming videos and screenshots but most don't.

We will not be implementing the Media Gallery until there's some consensus of proper usage.
Functionality is already there for albums as well as categories except for album categories. You can already choose to disable either albums or categories if you don't want to use one of them.

For me this also would be a nice Feature.
I don`t understand why somebody can be against the Suggestion having Albums under Categories :eek:

I as Administrator want to give members the right for some categories to upload their Albums.

So lets say
  • Category Europe
  • Category Asia
Then the users should be able to select the category they want to upload their Album
  • Category Europe - Album Germany
this would be from the logic like Forum nodes.
You also are not creating Forum Categories and then the users only can post in their own section.

So for me not Logical - I would love to see the possibility to define which usergroup can create Albums under which Category.

Erich

I was actually a bit surprised there wasn't a provision for albums to also be in a category. It does seem logical (to me) but there's probably a good reason why it wasn't initially developed with this feature. Anyway, it'd be nice if this feature could somehow be integrated into XFMG in the future.

since I bought the Gallery Plugin, there was not in one updates cool new Features implemented, only Bugfixes :(

Erich

since i bought it(about 1 year) there hasn't been any cool features added either only bug fixes... it's pretty sad.. at this rate we'll have to wait 1 year or longer.. i gave up making suggestions

Updates usually every month

Capture.webp

another 5 months until a x.X.x. release

Major new features will be reserved for second point versions (x.X.x).

i guess it doesnt matter too much anymore, since i paid someone to make the features i wanted..

Last edited:
Top Bottom