Lack of interest Akismet Post Scanning

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Brent W

Would be great to have this. It combined with StopForumSpam would make spam almost an non issue.

http://akismet.com/

For example: One vBulletin forum I recently purchased had a period of a couple of months where registrations were not monitored and spammers signed up in droves. Well, their accounts still pop up but Akismet catches them and puts them in moderation before they even appear.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
What does it do differently to Stop Forum Spam?

i.e. Why not just use SFS on its own?
Short answer, Stop Forum Spam is a blacklsit of known spammer IP addresses, user names, and e-mail addresses. Akismet is a content filter, it looks at the content of posts for potential spam and marks suspect posts moderation.

In theory SFS and Akimet should complement each other, but in my experience Akismet can problematic on forums, it generates significantly more false positives on forums than it does on blogs. That said I wouldn't mind seeing Akismet support in Xenforo.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Looking at it, not sure I'd pay for it.

I'll reasses though after SFS is implemented into XF in the next version.

Short answer, Stop Forum Spam is a blacklsit of known spammer IP addresses, user names, and e-mail addresses. Akismet is a content filter, it looks at the content of posts for potential spam and marks suspect posts moderation.

In theory SFS and Akimet should complement each other, but in my experience Akismet can problematic on forums, it generates significantly more false positives on forums than it does on blogs. That said I wouldn't mind seeing Akismet support in Xenforo.

I haven't experienced the false positives myself, but this also isn't a high volume posting forum either.

I have never received a TRUE positive with Akismet when I was on vB... not once in 3 years... 100% of all positives were false.

I have never received a TRUE positive with Akismet when I was on vB... not once in 3 years... 100% of all positives were false.

Complete opposite on my site. Never received a false positive. Just logged into today and AKISMET caught another spammer :)

When was the last time you gave it a shot?

Top Bottom