XF 1.3 Akismet Integration Still Working for XF 1.3.10?

Amadeus

Can anyone confirm that akismet integration is still working in XF 1.3.10? I am not seeing anything in the "Spam Cleaner Log" and I'm not sure where else I'm supposed to look and see debug and/or log information on when XF is checking against akismet using my API key.

Or, if anyone has a suggestion on an addon (or addons), paid or free, that is as good or better at detecting and rejecting spam posts, that would be just as good!

Or, if this is the time that I really should bite the bullet and upgrade XenForo to the latest version, I'd love to hear those arguments as well.

Thanks.

There have actually been very few changes to this implementation in the years since XF 1.3 so we currently have no reason to believe it would stop working.

Bear in mind it would be the "Spam Trigger Log" that would log details of spam triggers such as Akismet. If there are no logs then it would suggest that it hasn't caught anything.

Your Akismet account tied to your API key should also detail some various statistics.

Yea, when I go to my akismet account, I wasn't seeing anything (even after new posts had been made on my boards), so that's why I was concerned that it might not be working. It makes sense that the "spam trigger log" would only show actual triggers ...is there a 'debug mode' or something where I could see a log of it actually checking with akismet?

I was also motivated to post a question after seeing this thread: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/implement-akismet-comment_type.132459/ It is probably completely unrelated, but I wasn't sure if the "fix" mentioned therein was required or simply an optimization.

Thanks!

There isn't a debug mode that logs everything. I suppose you could intentionally "break" your API key that's entered as that may trigger an error.

It's worth noting that only new users will get checked for spam, based on the "Maximum Messages to Check for Spam" option.

(Mostly as a side note, I can't really say that 1.3 is really a supported version any longer. To fix any issues, our recommendation would be to upgrade to at least 1.5.)

Top Bottom