• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[ajaxboy] AutoUpdater

While technically possible, it's usually not a good idea to change things that will disrupt the user experience without doing so based on some user action. If you were reading the content, it would be a real pain if suddenly things shifted significantly, which would happen on an active site.

At least that's how I see it...

--Ed
Nothing wrong with [Home] being the 'Live' page.
While forums just loads the forum as usual.

And user control panel [x] Live page as frontpage? checkbox.

I made a few changes, and I now get three pop-up windows that have "<pre>controller file: controllers/alert.php not found</pre>" in the URL

I checked to ensure the file was there and it is. Any idea what the issue is?

which doesnt account for the popularity of ispy.
It's probably popular because people can see everything that's going on in the site on one page. Giving them the option to click to see updates verses auto updating doesn't necessarily change that.

Nothing wrong with [Home] being the 'Live' page. While forums just loads the forum as usual.
I'm not saying there's not a place for live/dynamic content. You just have to be careful about user experience. This is based on hard research not just opinion, which is why many of the top web sites give the user the option to load new conversations in most instances instead of loading them for them. (typically with primary content - teasers in the side bars is another story...)

That's the beauty of running your own site - you're entitled to do whatever you want to do. With any luck, Treasurer will add configuration options where we can do either/both.

Cheers!

--Ed

Tried to get this working but I'm struggling at the minute. Can you tell me what I'm looking for in Firebug to see what the issue is?

Make sure you follow all the instruction in the installation section (and usage section) on the first post in this thread.

If you have done that...

The firebug console will just tell you debug logs. Not necessarily errors. If there is a critical error, you should see an error alert

to see firebug logs, you will need to make a file edit in AutoUpdater/Model/Cjax.php on line 23:

PHP:
//$ajax->debug = true;

change it to:

PHP:
$ajax->debug = true;

also, you will not see any firebug logs until requests start firing, which require a successful installation.

Look under usage section on the original post, for more details, group permission etc.

I made a few changes, and I now get three pop-up windows that have "<pre>controller file: controllers/alert.php not found</pre>" in the URL

hmm. What browser are you using?.

For the error you describe sounds that AutoUpdater was not able to find the base directory to locate the controllers. So you will need to do that manually:

in file AutoUpdater/ajax.php line 62: add:

PHP:
$ajax->controller_dir = "full/path/to/AutoUpdater";

Another

This is unrelated to your issue, but related to that effect that you describe above in getting 3 popups (when debug is enabled):

I see how you can get 3 pop-up. There was a bug introduced in the first release to the ajax timer engine which is the cause of the JavaScript timer engine to echo events some times, this is acknowledge in the original post. This bug has been fixed, and the fix should be included in the next release. But this won't fix the problem you have, however I will see what I can do to add an extra check for an absolute path.

Added the line you said. It seemed to have found it fine. However generated a status 500 error. Pastebin below shows the error log.

http://pastebin.com/1WaTuZ44
doesn't look like this is an error with the addon itself, only thing the addon does from that end point is initiates xenforo, and gets the current user logged in.

By the error it you've given sounds like XenForo_Application::initialize() has been already called, which should not happen in the addon... make sure you only call "XenForo_Application::initialize()" once. In addition to only including it 1 time, it also does a double check using $fxStarted, so the only way it can be called again is if you some how removed the checks or something got duplicated. If there are no duplicates, it is not an addon error.

Ran that code and it pasted the array.

Commenting out the line removed the error, but no notifications came up when a message was sent to myself from a different user.

do you have firebug enabled?. if you do, you should be able to monitor incoming ajax requests.

You should be able to see a raw xml string like this:

firebug.webp

I see the response, but it doesn't bring back the xml.

The response is just massive HTML that looks like an error. One line says:

<label for="ctrl_0" class="OverlayCloser">Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.</label>

I see the response, but it doesn't bring back the xml.

The response is just massive HTML that looks like an error. One line says:

<label for="ctrl_0" class="OverlayCloser">Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.</label>

That response you are seeing isn't from the addon, that is a generic xenforo security error.

It seems very likely that arbitrary code is being ran (or some kind of setting preventing it to run correctly on the server), couldn't possibly pass the first statements without initializing xenforo (the line you commented out) unless it is done some where else. I am willing to take a look myself if possible.

No, I'm afraid that is from the add-on. The response is a full HTML page given from:

/Library/AutoUpdater/ajax.php?controller=alert&function=dispatcher&cjax_dir=dev&cjax=1298476831.362

errortl.png

Technically it does come from the addon, but what I mean is it is not reproduced by the addon.

How do you reproduce it?. So far you are the only one with this issue. In relationship to dependencies with xenforo, addon does not do anything other than use a common external page procedure to load the required data. It seems it doesn't get past the first part which is dependency statement only. Do you have any extra security in place?. It seems the addon never gets to see the light of the day while it is been forcefully interrupted.

for whatever reason this addon didnt trigger alerts. i set all perms to allow, tried php and js, various setting, double checked, etc.
i had the 'loading' thing working, but the alerts never appeared. i didnt try troubleshooting with firebug; i gave up and uninstalled.

That was literally just going to the forum homepage. The only changes I made was adding:

$ajax->controller_dir = "full/path/to/AutoUpdater"; [With the actual path]

And also commenting out the line you described above.

I don't believe there is any additional security on the server.

for whatever reason this addon didnt trigger alerts. i set all perms to allow, tried php and js, various setting, double checked, etc.
i had the 'loading' thing working, but the alerts never appeared. i didnt try troubleshooting with firebug; i gave up and uninstalled.

This is an early release of the addon and any trouble shooting and bug reports would help to find any bugs.

That was literally just going to the forum homepage. The only changes I made was adding:

$ajax->controller_dir = "full/path/to/AutoUpdater"; [With the actual path]

And also commenting out the line you described above.

I don't believe there is any additional security on the server.
The error you are experiencing is belong the control of the addon. Unless there is a better way to initialized xenforo on a completely independent file. Additionally I could try to find the exact cause, but I need to be able to reproduce it.

Any updates on this add-on? It seems nice and I'd like to try it, but the thread has been quiet for last month and 1.0.0 has come out.

Any updates on this add-on? It seems nice and I'd like to try it, but the thread has been quiet for last month and 1.0.0 has come out.
yeah there is an update.. mostly addressing issues with the JavaScript timer, but won't release it until there are new features.

Need Testers

Need candidates who would help me test it more. If you would like to get pro-actively a tester let me know!, that would be awesome. I have not found any issues, but one or two people have reported remote cases that don't even make sense, that way is not way to get problems fixed. So anyone who would like to become an active tester, and report every issue with details, I am willing to address every issue until it is fixed, that is the only thing I ask, report problems . I want to give to the community, but come on!, there are these who just like to take and won't even report problems o_O, then come saying this doesn't work etc... so if possible please become a tester :).

Send me private conversation if you would like to become a tester, and you get the addon rolled out on your site, I can personally get involved if needed to make sure it works on your site.

Top Bottom