Ajax it all!

Shadow

Hello, I see you use Ajax here in xenforo, my suggestion is use Ajax everywhere. so instead of loading, we get ajax to post a message, load the pages, everywhere.

Would be much friendlier then seeing loading bars and stuff :)

Upvote 0
Facebook does. Enough said.

In which sense? Good or bad? I've experience a number of problems due to the way Facebook loads things.

Definitely not true.

After stepping away for a bit, I see where my mind was heading. I was thinking of loading everything via AJAX (as in, you visit a page and then each element makes a call on top of that). Excuse my moment of confusion there. :confused:

Sometimes ajax is evil, when not done correctly it feels odd to the average user. Why did I leave the page when I click back? so on and so forth. I think when used correctly it ends up being very nice.

google has a dedicated section stating how ajax based sites can be made search engine friendly.

i had really like to see feed page auto update at least for mods and admins.

i think this forum has the right quantity of ajax.

though it would be cool to see new updates to the thread you are checking out.

AJAX can be bad SEO and sometimes AJAX can increase server loads, especially with long-polling. However, HTML5's WebSockets, would help improve performance in this department. But if you're looking for something like Facebook, you'd need to run a real-time server like Orbited (orbited.org), or Tornado. Honestly would love to see a forum system made to use the real-time system but i think its a few years too early to be hoping for it.

I have written some basic Apps that use such servers and I can tell you its quite lovely, i'm looking into HookBox (hookbox.org) too.

id LOVE to see ajax used for the faux 'multiquote' system.
i think it would be cool if the quick reply appeared below the post you were replying to rather than shooting to the bottom of the screen (and requiring you to scroll back up). it would make multiquoting about 483% better.

the next awesome use of ajax would be to turn 'recent activity' into ispy.

Kier is already looking at implementing live updating of threads, but believes that long polling is the most efficient solution.

I requested an add-on here and Kier made a post here.

Top Bottom