After change of license info (domain name)..

BlackMuddler

Hi ..

Do I have to download again and upload files or can I simply take my current files and move to my new domain name folder?

Sorry if this is in wrong forum and please move to the right one.

Thanks Brogan for quick respons
beer.gif

One further question - Am I allowed to have the old domain forum stay in closed down with some text for update favorites to new domain, in 24-48 hours - also to make sure, that visitors that comes from not updated dns server get some messages and not white screen? Worldwide dns updates can take what? Perhaps 6-48 hours?

Arrgh - Wish I was better to english.. - Hope you understand...

That should be ok, though DNS doesn't actually take too long to propagate these days. :)

Thank you Mike ... Right now I ping OpenDNS with dig @208.67.222.222 domain.net and when its shows the new IP I will shut the old forum down completely and delete it.. I think when OpenDNS is ok almost others will be it.

One further question - Am I allowed to have the old domain forum stay in closed down with some text for update favorites to new domain, in 24-48 hours - also to make sure, that visitors that comes from not updated dns server get some messages and not white screen? Worldwide dns updates can take what? Perhaps 6-48 hours?

Arrgh - Wish I was better to english.. - Hope you understand...
That should be ok, though DNS doesn't actually take too long to propagate these days. :)
Actually, it depends on what the TTL (Time To Live) of the DNS entry is set to. This tells other DNS servers how long to cache the record before asking again for the entry.

For those looking at moving a domain to a new IP address, it would be beneficial to lower this setting a few days before the move to 1 hour. (most systems set it to 1 day) That will shorten the outage time for your site with users since DNS will look for the new ip address sooner.

--Ed

Top Bottom