xf is setup - now change domain name on a limited acct

Joe Kuhn

xf is setup and working now on GoDaddy thanks to @AndyB.

Purchased a new domain name that is more appropriate than JoeKuhnDesign.com. The theme director chose MindfulKindness.community from a pretty good list of alternatives. So be it. The new domain name is now parked as shown by the A record.

1522928902693.webp

DNSChecker shows the following for all:

1522928974083.webp

Plus GoDaddy says the new domain is parked when I try to go there in my browser.

So I changed the value in the A record to be my IP address and am watching propagation through DNSChecker. Took about 15 minutes for them all to change, at least all those listed in DNSChecker.

The URL now takes me to the something cool screen at gd and asks me to login to cPanel. I changed my primary domain name to the new one because I only get one on my current plan.

1522931144072.webp

Still get the something cool screen. Tried to go into cPanel Admin and got this:

1522931329195.webp

Waited a while until SSL was transferred. DNS records have been increased by quite a few. JoeKuhnDesign.com has been parked. Now I get this from MindfulKindness.community. Notice the forward to JoeKuhnDessign.com.

1522934757094.webp

Waiting 24-48 hours again after a chat with gd. Support phone # is foreign country #. Chose to chat instead. When I asked if my name servers needed to be changed on the second domain name to the name servers of the first, he said no. Reviewed all the record types in DNS checker for new domain name and they all look good. hm. What am I missing?

Couldn't go into xf admin and change site URL. Access already lost. That gives me some panic, but something is forwarding my old domain name to my new and even with a Chrome incognito window. I believe that is what needs to be resolved. I could not find anything outside of xf.

My board url setting inside xf was still set to the old domain name, hence th change from old domain nm to new right before the forum would normally come up.

So I changed my current domain in GoDaddy back to joekuhndesign.com, waited for the ssl to be changed and then logged in to xf as admin. Then I changed the board url to my new domain (waited for ssl to take effect again) and it all works. A little tricky.

Good thing I kept good notes on logins & passwords because my browser hadn't seen the new domain name in a url. Auto fill did nothing.

Done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom