Admin Relationship with forum members

And I thought the subject admin relationship with forum members, was on the lines of
teachers having relations with their students or coaches having a relationship with their players.
I missed it totally.

Aw Brogan glad you're relaxing for once.

I think laying out what people can expect is excellent. It reassures the nervous and the ultra freedom fighters both.
But I prefer "guidelines" to "rules." My beloved Wittgenstein taught that language can never match the complexity of reality. Which means that language which implies that it sets out "what is" or "what must be" will fail at some point. That then actually undermines its power.
Guidelines both sound friendlier and can be realistically open to new interpretation when up against complexity.

Wittgenstein by the way is one of the great ancestors of coding. He was a mathematician, logician and philosopher. His Tractatus defined what any language can do saying a language is a maths and vice versa. As in lego bricks building. With each unit of language matching a unit of reality.
Being a man of integrity when he was universally acknowledged to have done this, he retired to live in the forest in a cottage, because his work was done.
One day a couple of students hitch hiked nearby and visited him. In a late night furious discussion he realised he had not covered the limits of language at all. That context, and overlapping sequences of definitions make language enormously powerful and flexible, but crucially finite.
Philosophical Investigations followed - a rare man who openly said he was wrong and rewrote. He pioneered the concept of intuitive thinking as mathematically sound and opened up what led to computer coding.

Aw Brogan glad you're relaxing for once.

I think laying out what people can expect is excellent. It reassures the nervous and the ultra freedom fighters both.
But I prefer "guidelines" to "rules." My beloved Wittgenstein taught that language can never match the complexity of reality. Which means that language which implies that it sets out "what is" or "what must be" will fail at some point. That then actually undermines its power.
Guidelines both sound friendlier and can be realistically open to new interpretation when up against complexity.

Wittgenstein by the way is one of the great ancestors of coding. He was a mathematician, logician and philosopher. His Tractatus defined what any language can do saying a language is a maths and vice versa. As in lego bricks building. With each unit of language matching a unit of reality.
Being a man of integrity when he was universally acknowledged to have done this, he retired to live in the forest in a cottage, because his work was done.
One day a couple of students hitch hiked nearby and visited him. In a late night furious discussion he realised he had not covered the limits of language at all. That context, and overlapping sequences of definitions make language enormously powerful and flexible, but crucially finite.
Philosophical Investigations followed - a rare man who openly said he was wrong and rewrote. He pioneered the concept of intuitive thinking as mathematically sound and opened up what led to computer coding.

Who's Wittgenstein? if you don't mind me asking.

This dude http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Wittgenstein

And what does this have anything to do with admin relationship. People are funny ! :D

Sorry if I was not clear.
It has been said here - and I agree - that providing a map for our members on what to expect politically, is useful. That is, their rights and duties, our rights and duties as admins: aka justice.

I made this a little more explicit by saying this reassures the nervous and the freedom fighters (like me).
(One reason I love XF is that its community is pretty clean on freedom practices.)
I'd add that the more confident people feel the more they are enabled to participate, a huge priority for admins. Well informed people who feel able to locate lines of power and plug into them appropriately, are therefore more active members.

Wittgenstein came in because I suggested that 'Guidelines' are better than 'Rules,'
'Rules' are much more rigid while 'Guidelines' can be interpreted without threatening their authority.
Wittgenstein both explained in famous widely respected books (in the world of (logicians) and lived outin his own life, a massive logical theory shift. This demonstrates that languages (written 'rules') always fail in contact with the complexity of real lived experience.
Therefore my point.

I run under my own identity. I am not a proponent of creating an admin account just for admin purposes. I find it is important that people feel they have a sense of who makes admin decisions. It's important to be able to identify with overseeing person rather than it being an nameless entity.

I establish a friendly atmosphere with members and participate within fair but limited interaction. Enough that they know my nature as a person rather than the guy in charge but understand that under certain circumstances I make those decisions required for the community to be preserved in a proper order in accordance to guidelines. Those very guidelines are principled around the nature of my community and I treat each issue in a case by case situation.

I have a open door policy with all my members so they feel welcome in giving me the blunt end of there thoughts, feelings and emotions. They can contact me via many methods anytime to do so. I am not a fan of censorship and do not believe that people need to be banned unless they have been warned to curtail abusive behavior towards other. My community works in a self governing fashion. Only when something is reported or in very direct violation of set guidelines do I ever take any admin actions which very depending on the level of the alleged offense. Communication is the first key.

People act out but quickly become subdued by the pressures of the community managing it's own standards within the guidelines set forth. I really never have to be a tough guy or a bad guy. When I have to be tough on a situation, I do so transparently.

Top Bottom