As designed Admin Panel Allows Invalid Tags

Daniel Hood

In the admin panel, when you create or edit a tag, you can use an invalid tag name. Doing so doesn't trigger any errors, which might be as design, but you can never use these tags from the front end since they aren't valid (minimum length, etc).

I know the admin panel circumvents some validation checks, and this might be one of those cases but it kind of seems like it should be checked.

I can confirm that the constraints aren't checked when creating a tag in the ACP. However, I can't confirm:
but you can never use these tags from the front end since they aren't valid (minimum length, etc).
I created a "a" tag in the ACP and applied it to a thread without issue. I was unable to create a "b" tag.

Essentially, this means that as long as the tag is already valid, it can be used regardless of the current constraints. This seems reasonable, especially as the tags will be auto-suggested. (Not in the 1 character example but it could apply in other cases.)

However, I can't confirm:
I created a "a" tag in the ACP and applied it to a thread without issue. I was unable to create a "b" tag.

Essentially, this means that as long as the tag is already valid, it can be used regardless of the current constraints. This seems reasonable, especially as the tags will be auto-suggested. (Not in the 1 character example but it could apply in other cases.)
Rather embarrassingly, I'll admit that I didn't actually look into this as much as I should have and skipped over the fact that once added from the admin panel they are then valid tags.

My mistake. I guess it was "As Designed" after all, like I suspected it could be.

Top Bottom