admin cp

Jo.

we're currently trying to find an alternative software for our large vb forum and we're down to 2 choices - xenForo and IPB. We are kind of on a time limit because our licence for vb runs out in a month and we will not be upgrading to vb4 - it's a mess and we don't trust vb anymore and need to move. We're having a lot of forum problems and are at the point where we really have no choice but to move at some point over the next couple of months. I don't know if xenForo will be ready in time but I really do like what I've seen so far.

Anyway, on to my question...

One of the really important things in our decision concerns the admin cp - its ease of use and useful features. Would it be possible to get an overview of the admin cp - how it works, what's available, some screenshots or a video? It would be really helpful to us!

Thanks! :)

Hi Jo,
It seems that there isn't a solid release date but rumors are around the end of Summer (make of that as you wish).
If you want to see some admin features there have been a few videos that the staff have added that show certain aspects of the admin panel. While not complete, I think you will find a great difference with what you are using for VB

http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/ <--- check here for some videos on styling, mod creation & a few other things.

Thanks Crazyfruitbat :)

I've had a look at the videos, but what we really need to see is stuff like... setting up forum permissions and access masks - doing that in vb is a bit of headache... we use a lot of private forums that are given to members on request and after meeting various criteria, but it has been problematic in vb - we've ended up having to set up different usergroups for each private forum and then adding them as secondary usergroups to user accounts. It's important for the type of forum we have where privacy and security is an important issue - it's a forum for survivors of abuse. We'ved had to set up a load of extra usergroups just because people were getting access in areas they shouldn’t just because they were set to have access to a category of forums...

Anyway, that's important to us and so we would really like to be able to see more details of the admin cp and how it works, particularly in terms of using and setting up private forum access and that kind of stuff.

The other thing is, will it be possible to turn off features like the social networking stuff if we want to? Because again, due to the nature of our forums, that kind of thing isn't something we want because it could compromise members feelings of safety and security.

Thanks again for your help! :)

Hey Jo,
As stated, XF isn't really complete yet (but will hopefully be very soon). Although I don't have specifics on all of the admincp functions, from what I've seen and what the vibe from the XF developers is, I'm pretty sure it should be a very simple process to do what you want. Both the XF developers built vBulletin up to VB 3.7 before they left the company after IB took over. I really can't give an answer beyond that...maybe someone on the staff can help :).

If you can, wait around a few weeks before making your decision. Once XF is out for local installation we'll all have a better idea of what it can and can't do.

The permissions system is very extensive, if perhaps a little complex at times. It's currently undergoing some changes to allow it to be more intuitive. We will post a HYS thread about it when possible.

However, I would say that I'm not sure if XenForo is going to be a good fit for you at this time. You have a relatively short time frame, with rather specific requirements because of your subject matter. XF is still in its early days and is just beginning to grow, so it will need some time to mature. I'm not trying to direct you away from us; I just don't want you to be holding out for a final release only to discover that it doesn't do what you need.

It sounds like you'd need an admin demo to see whether it fits your needs fully and I do imagine that would be something we'd provide after the final release is available.

Thanks Mr. Bob. :)

Thanks for your help Mike - I appreciate it! I sure wish our time frame wasn't so restricted, or I'd seriously rather wait for you guys to be up and running. I much prefer what I've seen of XenForo to IPB. I do understand that XF is still in its early days, and that was one of our concerns about choosing your software. We've discovered that there is an option for us to buy 3 months maintenance with vb so we can continue with vb3.8 for an extra 3 months after our licence expires without worrying about lack of security updates etc. so that buys us a little bit more time... but I imagine you still may not even be up and running by then anyway??

We were aware it would take time for the software to mature and for kinks to get ironed out etc, and are considering whether that would be something we could work with (we would probably be willing to go with it as long as we knew we could rely on you guys to be working on it :) ). You seem to be good at communicating with your customers and that's a valuable thing to us.

Anyway, you seem to be onto a really good thing! Even if we decide we're unable to use you right now, we'll definitely keep our eye on your progress etc. I'd hope we'd be able to use your software at some point in the future (my personal preference would be XF over IPB but obviously we do have rather specific needs and a short time scale).

Good luck and thanks again!! :)

Well, if you can buy time then that might be a good thing. We're focusing on getting the initial version out, but it might not have all the switches you'd need. Our goal is to get it out to get feedback and keep improving it. We're not going to let it languish; 1.0 is basically the first step, not the last. :) I may have been painting a pessimistic picture of the release date, though I don't consider the release date to be until 1.0 is final and supported; I'm unsure when that will be at this time, but sooner is better than later.

I hope XF can work for your needs; I just didn't want to put you into a situation where you're waiting for it, only to discover that it doesn't suit you, forcing you to rush your evaluation/preparations with another software.

We've discovered that there is an option for us to buy 3 months maintenance with vb so we can continue with vb3.8 for an extra 3 months after our licence expires without worrying about lack of security updates etc. so that buys us a little bit more time...
I think that three month extension would be just what is required in this instance.

Jo, too bad you can't go with a free solution until XenForo is ready. There are big boards that do use free software and it would hold the wolves at bay for the time being....or find someone willing to sell a vb 3 series license maybe. Liz

Thanks guys. :) I'll relay what you've said to my fellow admin/senior staff and we'll discuss it a bit more. I may come back with more questions if that's okay! Thanks for taking the time to respond - it's been helpful! :)

Hi, I'm admin on the same forum as Jo. :)

Thanks so much guys for all your help so far! I am very much in the same place as Jo ... that I by far prefer what I have seen so far here, to IPB.

I'm happy to buy the 3 month maitenance on vbulletin to buy us time. We would then have 4 months ish to get the new forum into place. ( Incidentally, does anyone know for sure whether vb are going to continue to provide these 3 month extensions? It's not outside of our budget to do that twice, if we need to buy more time - but I have no idea whether vb will even still be offering that in 3 months time since they seem to have said that version 3.8 will become unsupported at some point in the not too distant future. :p )

I know and respect that you guys have no specific release date yet, but do things feel like it's likely it will be released within the next 2 months, including a conversion package? We don't technically need to make a final decision about what we're going to do for at least 2 months, but it would be good to know whether xf is likely to be up and running (with things like private forum access security firmly in place) within that time frame. ;)

I think that three month extension would be just what is required in this instance.

This is a strong indication that getting a 3 month extension would be just what is required in this instance.

Incidentally, does anyone know for sure whether vb are going to continue to provide these 3 month extensions? It's not outside of our budget to do that twice, if we need to buy more time - but I have no idea whether vb will even still be offering that in 3 months time since they seem to have said that version 3.8 will become unsupported at some point in the not too distant future. :p

Yeah, I doubt that IB themselves know for sure what they'll be offering in 3 months time.

This is a strong indication that getting a 3 month extension would be just what is required in this instance.
Yea, good point! :)

Yeah, I doubt that IB themselves know for sure what they'll be offering in 3 months time.

Yea, unfortunately you're probably right about that too. Seems like they are just chasing their own tails right now ... probably the 3 months maintenance is just designed to try to stop the hoards from leaving, lol. (Good luck to them with that, HA)

I'm just in a difficult position because it's my responsibility to ensure that hundreds of active survivors of abuse on our forum dont lose their support - or the stability and security of their forum ... so I have to be super careful with everything ... and it feels a little like walking out onto a just iced over lake, not being sure of where we're going or when! I'm very aware that there are no definites on either side, from vb or xf ... but I'm just hoping that we can make this work!! :)

Yea, good point! :)

Yea, unfortunately you're probably right about that too. Seems like they are just chasing their own tails right now ... probably the 3 months maintenance is just designed to try to stop the hoards from leaving, lol. (Good luck to them with that, HA)

I'm just in a difficult position because it's my responsibility to ensure that hundreds of active survivors of abuse on our forum dont lose their support - or the stability and security of their forum ... so I have to be super careful with everything ... and it feels a little like walking out onto a just iced over lake, not being sure of where we're going or when! I'm very aware that there are no definites on either side, from vb or xf ... but I'm just hoping that we can make this work!! :)

Welcome to the club (Hmmm, Club XenForo - I like the sound of that - maybe a new name for the Off Topic forum?) - there are a lot of us who feel the same way you do. Of course, you'll notice a bit of pro-XF sentiment around here, this being the XenForo Community and all, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut and do what feels right.

Welcome to the club (Hmmm, Club XenForo - I like the sound of that - maybe a new name for the Off Topic forum?) - there are a lot of us who feel the same way you do. Of course, you'll notice a bit of pro-XF sentiment around here, this being the XenForo Community and all, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut and do what feels right.

Happy to join the club lol!!

I'm definitely one who usually goes with her gut. It's just scarier to do that when you're carrying a load of people behind you, ha!

I'm just in a difficult position because it's my responsibility to ensure that hundreds of active survivors of abuse on our forum dont lose their support - or the stability and security of their forum ...
Hi Susannah! Welcome to XenForo. :)

Would you be able to explain, in a bit more detail, what your forum needs are, with respect to the above statement?

Top Bottom