admin cp

Jo.

we're currently trying to find an alternative software for our large vb forum and we're down to 2 choices - xenForo and IPB. We are kind of on a time limit because our licence for vb runs out in a month and we will not be upgrading to vb4 - it's a mess and we don't trust vb anymore and need to move. We're having a lot of forum problems and are at the point where we really have no choice but to move at some point over the next couple of months. I don't know if xenForo will be ready in time but I really do like what I've seen so far.

Anyway, on to my question...

One of the really important things in our decision concerns the admin cp - its ease of use and useful features. Would it be possible to get an overview of the admin cp - how it works, what's available, some screenshots or a video? It would be really helpful to us!

Thanks! :)

we're currently trying to find an alternative software for our large vb forum and we're down to 2 choices - xenForo and IPB. We are kind of on a time limit because our licence for vb runs out in a month and we will not be upgrading to vb4 - it's a mess and we don't trust vb anymore and need to move. We're having a lot of forum problems and are at the point where we really have no choice but to move at some point over the next couple of months. I don't know if xenForo will be ready in time but I really do like what I've seen so far.

Anyway, on to my question...

One of the really important things in our decision concerns the admin cp - its ease of use and useful features. Would it be possible to get an overview of the admin cp - how it works, what's available, some screenshots or a video? It would be really helpful to us!

Thanks! :)
Why not just buy one of many licenses for sale on admin boards for a lower price, and upgrade to the latest 3.x. That's how I did it to gain some time until I'm ready to change to other software.

Well I guess technically we could run it without renewing our license but I think for peace of mind we will buy the maintenance for our current version, to tide us over until we can move. We have been hacked in the past and lost a lot of data and it caused a heap of problems. We don't really want to risk that happening again.

I understand where you are coming from but running without support for 1-2 months is not a great crisis after the 3 months of "maintenance" if it comes to that.  If it looks like it's going to be longer than that, then you can revisit your decision then. 

At this point you say you have a month til it expires now.
Buying another 3 months will put that to Mid Jan 2011 before you are without support.
So if you just bite the bullet and run a couple of months without support, say til Mar 2011, by then you should have a solid answer one way or another.  

Just make sure you have your config files updated so that the unalterable user is in there and if necessary, change passwords just before going to no support to protect yourselves.   And make sure you are as up to date as possible before going "solo". 

Liz 

Why not just buy one of many licenses for sale on admin boards for a lower price, and upgrade to the latest 3.x. That's how I did it to gain some time until I'm ready to change to other software.

That's a good idea - we didn't think of that. I think for now though, since the 3 months maintenance is available, we'll just do that and if it comes to it after that's up, we could look into other options afterwards. :)

I understand where you are coming from but running without support for 1-2 months is not a great crisis after the 3 months of "maintenance" if it comes to that. If it looks like it's going to be longer than that, then you can revisit your decision then.

At this point you say you have a month til it expires now.
Buying another 3 months will put that to Mid Jan 2011 before you are without support.
So if you just bite the bullet and run a couple of months without support, say til Mar 2011, by then you should have a solid answer one way or another.

Just make sure you have your config files updated so that the unalterable user is in there and if necessary, change passwords just before going to no support to protect yourselves. And make sure you are as up to date as possible before going "solo".

Liz

yeah... if it comes to that then we'll probably consider doing that. :) Thanks Liz.

You mean the one caught on the horns????
that would be the one.
angel-smiley-029.gif

Hi!!
I just wanted to let you guys know that thanks in no small part to all the help and encouragement you all have given us, it looks almost certain that we're going to be moving over to xenforo once version 1 slips out of beta ... and highly likely that we'll be buying a beta license tomorrow - wow! How exciting is this release??!!??

Me & the other staff on our team who've been involved in software hunting have been really impressed with what we've seen here - all the gorgeous little touches that you just don't get anywhere else! (What's the bet everyone's trying to copy xf in the not too distant future....? HA :D) It all seems very intuitive and user friendly, too. :)

I'm sure we'll still have a zillion questions before we actually get to the point of converting our vb forum - but hey, that's all part of the journey, right? ;)

Top Bottom