XF 2.0 Admin Access Stopped Working

rbirkey

I have 2 admin accounts set up on my forum, each using a different email address and username. After upgrading to version 2.0.9, I can no longer use one of them... the password seems to have been corrupted. When I log in using the other account, to try to reset that password for the bad account, I get this message: "You must be a super administrator to edit this user." I have no idea how to access and fix the broken user account, nor how this happened.

Attachments

• oops.webp
    oops.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 27
the password seems to have been corrupted.
There's no way a password can become "corrupted" and even so, there would be no such changes in the recent versions that would touch anything like that. I think the most reasonable explanation is that you have forgotten the password.

To expand on Mr Lucky's suggestion above, you would need to log out of all accounts and then when you click "Log in" go through the "
Forgot your password?" process to restore access to the account.

I was able to reset the password of the non-working admin account. However, I still do not understand why I was getting the message that I must be a super administrator to edit a user. I wanted both of my accounts to be super admins... where is that set?

When you create the Admin user (Admin > Groups & permissions > Administrators) you can give them specific permissions or make them a super administrator (an admin who has all permissions automatically).

I have logged into my Forum Admin area using the account that is already a Super Admin. I went to the Admin > Groups & permissions > Administrators that you mentioned and opened my other user account that is not listed as a Super Admin. On that screen, I can't find where I would make the change to make that account a Super Admin. Where is that done?

When I login using my Super Admin account, and follow this path Admin > Groups & permissions > Administrators, I see a list of current administrator accounts of which there are three. Two of them are listed as Super Administrators, and I am logged in as one of them. I click on the "user info" for the user account that isn't as Super Admin, and get an Edit User page. On that page, I do not see "Administrator type". What am I missing?

Attachments

• three-users.webp
    three-users.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 21
  • edit-user.webp
    edit-user.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 19
You're clicking on "User info", that just takes you to information about the user. You just need to click on the user's name when looking at the Administrators list.

Thank you. I find the UX design for the Xenforo admin area leaves much to be desired. The blue underlined link was what I was drawn to intuitively/visually. I think that would be the case for most people/users. All of this time/energy could have been avoided had I been drawn to the username as what I should click on to edit the user.

Top Bottom