Adding XenForo as a subdirectory to my domain

a1000

Hope everyone is doing well.

So I have been weighing my options to launch a forum and I have arrived at XenForo Cloud-based solution.
I have my website which on Joomla and is being run as a blog on which I mainly post tutorials and articles.
However, I want my forum to have a direct impact on my main domain where my main website is and not a subdomain.

I mean, my main website is on https://www.mywebsite.com now I want my xenforo forum to be on /forum/ at https://www.mywebsite.com/forum/

Is it a possibility with XenForo cloud? or do I have to set it up as a sub-domain?

I'm not completely sure I understand how their solution would have worked or if it did, it may have created other issues.

There is potentially solutions for this but they add quite a bit of complexity that just isn't really compatible with the platform.

So, frankly, the only thing we will support is serving the forum from a sub domain of your main website.

Using sub-domains in this way is pretty much the de-facto solution for different applications hosted on different servers.

Ultimately, whether the forum is hosted in a sub domain or in a sub directory it doesn't make the slightest bit of practical difference to anything. Not to search engines, not to your users.

Ultimately, whether the forum is hosted in a sub domain or in a sub directory it doesn't make the slightest bit of practical difference to anything. Not to search engines, not to your users.

Are you sure my friend? I have read a lot of articles online that subdomaain.website.com is considered a completely different from website.com in search console.

Now if I do it like website.com/forum/ using a self-hosted license, do you think I might have a ranking or functionality issue?

I have just found another thread from another client probably with the same case as mine here https://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-redirect-the-domain-to-sub-directory.209130/

Is this solution not possible for me? I want the forum to be in that sub-directory.

I don't believe that person's question was related to having the site on two different servers (one hosting Joomla and Xenforo cloud).

Chris is spot on about using a sub-domain. Its simply not feasible for most people to do what you're asking. The Xenforo cloud site would need to be mounted as a partition on your Joomla site - probably not easily done (though I'm guessing on their architecture).

Or you'd need to setup something like Cloudflare worker rules. I've not setup worker rules for something like that before, it's such a rare request.

No no, I never asked to have website on two servers.

I simply am looking for the best solution so that I could have the XenForo launched and operational on mywebsite.com/forum/ address. My main website is Joomla and is on mywebsite.com

The ultimate purpose of this is to have all the traffic from both my joomla webiste and xenforu forum concentrated on mywebsite.com domain rather than splitting it between the main domain and sub-domain.

If self-hosted works with what I want without issues, then self-hosted is fine for me.

This confused me thus I am asking your opinion.

s it a possibility with XenForo cloud? or do I have to set it up as a sub-domain?
Pretty sure it can't be done that way with the cloud install (as you really need it installed in a sub-directory off your root, which requires the actual script).
You can set it up as a sub-domain (forums.whatever.com) or even on it's own domain.

No no, I never asked to have website on two servers.
You did even if you didn't realize it. :-)
With Xenforo cloud, Xenforo would be hosted by Xenforo cloud - their server and Joomla on your server.

Self-hosting would be required to easily have them on the same domain. Otherwise you'd need a solution such as those I mentioned.

Self-hosting would be required to easily have them on the same domain.
So you do confirm by self-hosted license I can have my current website and forum at mywebsite.com/forum/ and that will not cause any conflict regarding google search console or website functionality?

I am pretty sure that I have seen some website done this before, thats why I asked.

You did even if you didn't realize it. :)
Then I apologize for the confusion

So you do confirm by self-hosted license I can have my current website and forum at mywebsite.com/forum/ and that will not cause any conflict regarding google search console or website functionality?
Many HAVE done it and many CONTINUE to do it... in fact... I'm pretty sure this very site does exactly that. ;)
The XF script can be installed in any sub-directory you desire... I'd suggestion community or similar.. as otherwise, if you install it in forum like many do you may end up with a /forum/forums in the address bar.

Many HAVE done it and many CONTINUE to do it... in fact... I'm pretty sure this very site does exactly that. ;)
The XF script can be installed in any sub-directory you desire... I'd suggestion community or similar.. as otherwise, if you install it in forum like many do you may end up with a /forum/forums in the address bar.
Much appreciate the comment.

No matter what directory it's in... should be a standard install process.
Just remember when you go to perform the install, during the install it will be yourdomain.com/where_installed and not the root directory.

No matter what directory it's in... should be a standard install process.
Just remember when you go to perform the install, during the install it will be yourdomain.com/where_installed and not the root directory.
Yeah I will do mywebsite.com/community/ as recommended. But it should not cause any conflict with the current website being run on the same host?

Yeah I will do mywebsite.com/community/ as recommended. But it should not cause any conflict with the current website being run on the same host?
The only "conflict" it may cause if you are on shared hosting and the site gets busy.... in addition to the main site using mySQL connections, the forum will also, and some hosting providers have limits on the number of active connections to the database. But that's not a major issue and can usually be resolved by a plan upgrade or moving to a VPS/dedicated server where you can control those server parameters yourself.

The only "conflict" it may cause if you are on shared hosting and the site gets busy.... in addition to the main site using mySQL connections, the forum will also, and some hosting providers have limits on the number of active connections to the database. But that's not a major issue and can usually be resolved by a plan upgrade or moving to a VPS/dedicated server where you can control those server parameters yourself.
No probs, I have already planned resource upgrade.

I know Joomla like the back of my hand. I would advise you not to make the mistake of installing it in the same database.

You know, Joomla keeps you quite active in modifying anything for any reason. I mean, you waste a lot of time in editing and adapting files to keep it online.

With Xenforo on the other hand, you almost forget that you're a webmaster, and you'll have so much time for your content.

You'll even forget about FileZilla :ROFLMAO:

I know Joomla like the back of my hand. I would advise you not to make the mistake of installing it in the same database.

You know, Joomla keeps you quite active in modifying anything for any reason. I mean, you waste a lot of time in editing and adapting files to keep it online.

With Xenforo on the other hand, you almost forget that you're a webmaster, and you'll have so much time for your content.

You'll even forget about FileZilla :ROFLMAO:
For a second I thought your username was Siri 😁

My Joomla website has been there since 2018, I only need to add a forum beside my website to get more user-created content for SEO improvement and also more interaction resulting in more traffic to my main domain.

Top Bottom