XF 2.1 Adding Super Admin & Member ID's

Alfuzzy

I need to add a Super-Admin to my freshly installed & freshly migrated Xenforo install. I need to add a Super-Admin (me)...and wanted to verify the process. I did read thru the FAQ list here...and did see that to add a Super Admin the config.php file needs to be edited by adding the member-id.

I did do some internet searches...and according to some of the search hits...adding a Super Admin is supposed to be possible via the AdminCP. Is this true...is this false...or is it true only for additional Super Admins...but the very first Super Admin needs to be added to the config.php file initially?

At the moment when I click on Groups & Permissions >> Administrators...I receive the message "You must be a super administrator to access this page. This can be configured in the Administrators section of the Admin CP."

2nd question. In vBulletin (where I'm coming from)..I knew where to find a members ID number in the AdminCP. Since I'm very new to Xenforo...I'm having trouble finding member ID's in the Xenforo AdminCP. If I search for a user in the AdminCP...I'm not seeing the member ID number anywhere.

Is this due to me not being a Super Admin at the moment...are member number ID's not listed in the AdminCP...do I need to go into the database directly to see member number ID's...or am I looking in the wrong area in the AdminCP?

Thanks

No, you don’t change yourself to userid #1, you do as I advised earlier.

Sorry...I think I'm getting a bit of information overload.;)

Was this what you advised earlier?

Ok, you will need to update the xf_admin table directly change the is_Admin field from 0 to 1 for your user.

I guess I thought you were talking about the XF database...sounds like I was wrong. Where do I find this table to edit it? Or is this table in the database?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help. I edited the database xf_admin table as advised...and all is good now.

It probably is easier to edit the database for this setting...compared to editing the config.php file in the past. Then you don't need to do all the FTPing...open a coding app...do the file modification...then upload the edited file.

Was an efficient idea for the XF developers to change this in XF 2.0.:)

One more quick question on this topic please.

With vB4 & editing the config.php file to add super admins. Unless someone had access to the config.php file...a super admin could not be deleted.

With XF 2.1...does this logic pretty much also hold true...that as long as someone doesn't have access to the XF database...a super admin can't be deleted?

Or...after the first super admin is created in the XF database (userid=1)...additional super admins can then be added via the AdminCP.

Can super admin "B" (userid = 5)...delete super admin "A" (userid = 15) via the AdminCP...even if super admin "B" doesn't have access to the database?

This is pretty much a hypothetical example...just trying to understand how "protected from deletion" a super admin account is.

Thanks

could someone tell me where in the xf_admin I would add the users to make them super admin and how to separate them? I have the file open but I'm not sure what to change. Thanks

You need to have at least one Super Admin defined in your websites database...then that Super Admin can define additional Super Admin(s) via the XF 2 AdminCP.

If you're not a Super Admin currently...then you can't add Super Admins via the AdminCP. If your websites Super Admin(s) login info is unknown...then you need access to your website's database to define a new or additional Super Admins.

p.s. Hopefully Brogan agree's.:)

I just imported everything from vbulletin so excuse me for not knowing it that well.
It's done in the ACP in XF2, in the admin menu.
The current superadmin is the user #1 as default which is someone who is no longer alive, so I can't edit his password and use that account. I asked in my first post what part of the file in the database I needed to edit but was told to do it through the admin cp. So then can someone please tell me where in that db file I need to change it?
could someone tell me where in the xf_admin I would add the users to make them super admin and how to separate them? I have the file open but I'm not sure what to change. Thanks

I did read those and I still do not know specifically what field of the file in the database because this is what I get

Attachments

• 6C133470-B829-418B-BD75-7C86DA4FA885.webp
    6C133470-B829-418B-BD75-7C86DA4FA885.webp
    11 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom