XF 2.1 Adding Super Admin & Member ID's

Alfuzzy

I need to add a Super-Admin to my freshly installed & freshly migrated Xenforo install. I need to add a Super-Admin (me)...and wanted to verify the process. I did read thru the FAQ list here...and did see that to add a Super Admin the config.php file needs to be edited by adding the member-id.

I did do some internet searches...and according to some of the search hits...adding a Super Admin is supposed to be possible via the AdminCP. Is this true...is this false...or is it true only for additional Super Admins...but the very first Super Admin needs to be added to the config.php file initially?

At the moment when I click on Groups & Permissions >> Administrators...I receive the message "You must be a super administrator to access this page. This can be configured in the Administrators section of the Admin CP."

2nd question. In vBulletin (where I'm coming from)..I knew where to find a members ID number in the AdminCP. Since I'm very new to Xenforo...I'm having trouble finding member ID's in the Xenforo AdminCP. If I search for a user in the AdminCP...I'm not seeing the member ID number anywhere.

Is this due to me not being a Super Admin at the moment...are member number ID's not listed in the AdminCP...do I need to go into the database directly to see member number ID's...or am I looking in the wrong area in the AdminCP?

Thanks

XF 2.0 doesn't actually use superAdmins in the config anymore. You can set an Admin as a Super Admin via the Admin CP. Is your user userid 1?

XF 2.0 doesn't actually use superAdmins in the config anymore.

Ohh really.

If I look in the Xenforo 2.0 manual...it briefly mentions Super Admin. Maybe Super Admin stuff has changed from Xenforo 2.0 & earlier versions.

You can set an Admin as a Super Admin via the Admin CP. Is your user userid 1?

That's probably the issue...I'm not userid 1 (although I could edit the database to be userid 1 if I wanted to).

Thanks

You can see the user id in your browser address bar while viewing the user, or by hovering over their name in the user list.

Awesome thanks. I also just realized/remembered...that member ID's appear when doing thread replies and quoting an earlier posts.:)

Just to verify...are you saying a member's numerical userid doesn't appear anywhere via the AdminCP?

Thanks

Ok, you will need to update the xf_admin table directly change the is_Admin field from 0 to 1 for your user.

Are you talking the websites database with those instructions...or somewhere else?

Could accomplish the same thing by editing the Xenforo config.php file...and adding my current forum userid?

Thanks

Yes, the DB for your XF install. No, the config file is no longer used for super admin assignments.

Ahh...too bad...I'm more familiar doing it that way (edit config.php file).

The FAQ area here on the Xenforo forum still says to edit the config.php file...maybe that only applies to older Xenforo versions.

Thanks again.:)

I didn’t even know there was one ☝

“where is the FAQ area?” is probably an FAQ.

I just noticed it's a Xenforo 1.5 FAQ area...thus I was probably looking in the incorrect area for a Xenforo 2.1 install.

Maybe some stuff still applies to 2.0 and some not. I didn't see a 2.0 FAQ section.

Is this due to me not being a Super Admin at the moment...are member number ID's not listed in the AdminCP...do I need to go into the database directly to see member number ID's...or am I looking in the wrong area in the AdminCP?

UserIDs: Move the Mouse to your Avatar and click on it. In the browser line above you get:
https://xenforo.com/community/members/alfuzzy.220970/ where "220970" is your userID here.
Do the same on your Forum...

Then, if you logged in as Admin there,

UserIDs: Move the Mouse to your Avatar and click on it. In the browser line above you get:
https://xenforo.com/community/members/alfuzzy.220970/ where "220970" is your userID here.

Good deal...that works too.

Do the same on your Forum...

Then, if you logged in as Admin there,

I'm not sure I follow you on this 2nd part. I know my userid for my website...the issue was making myself Super Admin. What I've been told so far is I need to make myself userid #1 in my websites database. If there's another easier way...I'd love to know.:)

Thanks

Good deal...that works too.

I'm not sure I follow you on this 2nd part. I know my userid for my website...the issue was making myself Super Admin. What I've been told so far is I need to make myself userid #1 in my websites database. If there's another easier way...I'd love to know.:)

Thanks
Ah, ok
I understood that the problem would not be solved yet ... So everything is fine :D

User ID 1 is super admin by default for a new XF install.

You should have been able to log in with that user and promote your other account to super admin in the ACP.

If the email address or username were the same for the XF ID 1 and your VB account, then you should have been prompted to merge or change during the import.

User ID 1 is super admin by default for a new XF install.

You should have been able to log in with that user and promote your other account to super admin in the ACP.

If the email address or username were the same for the XF ID 1 and your VB account, then you should have been prompted to merge or change during the import.

This was a new XF install...but it was also a migration from my vB 4.2.5 site. I was not userid 1 in my vB database...thus I'm guessing when my vB database was migrated into the XF database...I'm still not userid 1 in the XF database.

If this is all true (I haven't checked my XF database yet)...then it sounds like from what I've been advised so far...that I need to open up my XF database & make myself userid #1...so that I'm the initial Super-Admin....and have 100% permissions in the AdminCP.

If I'm misunderstanding anything...or of there's an easier way...I would love to know.:)

Thanks

Top Bottom