1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Meta Tag Keywords

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Michael, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Michael

Michael Active Member

Does anyone know how I can add meta keywords to the index page at the very least?

Thank you :)
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Michael

Michael Active Member

Thanks Brogan but wont that mean the same keywords will display on every page of the site?
  4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. Michael

Michael Active Member

I think this is where this script type conditionals would be perfect. I would rather have none than duplicates.
    erich37 likes this.
  6. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Is there a place to enter meta tags?
    Keywords but more importantly, description.

Or would they be entered in a template?
  7. Brogan

Saved0ne likes this.
  8. Jake Bunce

The meta description is defined here:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Board Meta Description

Note that the meta description changes to use actual page content for pages like threads. But on pages like the index it uses the description you define in the options.

There are no keywords defined because search engines (most notably Google) don't use them anymore. But you can edit the templates if you want to add keywords:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> PAGE_CONTAINER

Add it to the bottom of the head as shown below:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html id="XenForo" class="Public {xen:if {$visitor.user_id}, 'LoggedIn', 'LoggedOut'}">
    	<meta charset="utf-8" />
    	<xen:if is="{$requestPaths.fullBasePath}"><base href="{$requestPaths.fullBasePath}" /></xen:if>
    	<title><xen:if is="{$title}">{xen:raw $title} | {$xenOptions.boardTitle}<xen:else />{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:if></title>
    	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&amp;style={xen:urlencode $_styleId}&amp;d={$visitorStyle.last_modified_date}" />
    	<xen:include template="google_analytics" />
    	<xen:include template="page_container_js_head" />
    	<xen:if is="{$pageDescription.content} AND !{$pageDescription.skipmeta} AND !{$head.description}"><meta name="description" content="{xen:string wordTrim, {xen:helper stripHtml, {xen:raw $pageDescription.content}}, 200}" /></xen:if>
    	<xen:if is="{$head}"><xen:foreach loop="$head" value="$headElement">{xen:raw $headElement}</xen:foreach></xen:if>
            <meta name="keywords" content="your,words,here" />
    edit - Brogan wins this round :p
    maszd, erich37, Saved0ne and 2 others like this.
  9. Brogan

I'm going to ask Kier to put you in the Discouraged User group to slow you down :D
    maszd and Saved0ne like this.
  10. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

OK, I need to step away from the computer. :oops:

I already entered my description when I first installed xF.
    Sorry for wasting your time.
  11. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

They DO use it. You just don't see it. It is an algorithm overlay.

It goes together with description. So any word that you intentionally target, with keywords are found in bolded in results.

For example, a person throws a whip at a stick, will try to repel it to himself. That's exactly what Google and other SE's do with the keywords in meta.
  12. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Err, no: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html Google makes no use of meta keywords. Description is used though.
    Saved0ne and Puntocom like this.
  13. Brogan

Thanks for confirming Mike.
    I was sure that was the case but hadn't seen any documentation from Google to support it.
  14. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

so for the "Board Meta Description", what should I put into this field ?
    I mean: what is the best for SEO ?
    Just single keywords separated by a comma or rather full sentence descriptions ?

Additionally, I do not get why the Forum-title is the same as the Title which appears at the very top-left in the browser ?
    Is this intended design by XF and what is the advantage of this ? Having a rather long Forum-Title unfortunately also gives a very long "Sender name" on the system-E-Mails which are being send, which is rather confusing for the user when the sender-name is at the length of a full sentence.
    But I would like to have a longer Board-Title in order to improve on the SEO.
    Am I wrong in my thinking ?

What happens to SEO if my Board-Title says "myDomain.com" ? Is this bad for SEO ?
  15. Jake Bunce

I missed your post somehow.

The meta information like the title and description doesn't affect your page rank on Google. Page rank is a function of link exposure which comes as a result of having good content on your site that people link to. Content is king. It's not like you can improve the standing of your site on Google by changing your page title and description.

If you are curious about the details of Google's page rank algorithm then read this wiki:

16. toodlez

toodlez Active Member

Curious as to what you guys have to say about this
  17. Jake Bunce

I already replied to that with my previous post:

In addition to that I would add...

The title doesn't normally contain your domain name. It can. I personally think it's redundant.

The meta description is normally a "full sentence description" as opposed to "single keywords." Also refer to my previous post:

Saved0ne likes this.
  18. Saved0ne

Saved0ne Member

Dang this thread was really helpful! Brogan, Jake, and Mike.. thanks so much!
  19. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

If I may just jump in here.

re: SEO, what you put in the meta description doesn't affect how you would rank in Google, BUT, it's still very important as it's generally the snippet people see under the title of the site in the listing.

So when your site is returned among several others on the first page of Google listings, they are more likely to click on the one with the most interesting and useful description.

So think of it as an advertisement where you must sell the site in one or two sentences.
  20. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

still do not get it why there is no differentiation between "Website Board Title" and the "Board Title" which is used in E-mails.