Duplicate Add Transgender and Intersexual to gender options

Alpha1

Transgender and Intersexual people feel the available gender options in xenforo are not applicable to them and therefore xenforo has no suited gender options. I would like to offer such gender options to them.

Please add this simple function to xenforo.

Mods: please consider that the only other suggestion related to gender asks for permissions and has multiple suggestions in the same thread. So please let this one stand.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Gender typically referred/refers to sex. Either male or female. Or at least most of the definitions that I have seen do. It wasn't until PC'ness came into swing that it means something else.
You go to google and enter "definition of gender" and pretty much the same thing shows up there.

Gender typically referred/refers to sex. Either male or female. Or at least most of the definitions that I have seen do. It wasn't until PC'ness came into swing that it means something else.
You go to google and enter "definition of gender" and pretty much the same thing shows up there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

I'm not sure of the meaning of gender years ago but today gender and sex aren't the same thing. Language does evolve though and the meaning of words does change - gay, sick, dope all have different meanings today than they did in the past.

It's not all "PC'ness gone mad" though. Society is a lot more open than it was years ago and people want to be recognised and accepted for who they are. I'm sure you wouldn't want a return to the "good old days" where it was a sin to have a child out of wedlock and you'd have to give it up for adoption or sent to the workhouse for that, or homosexuality was illegal. ;)

Personally I see no harm in enhancing the current gender options in XenForo, as long as any enhancements are ones that admins can add (for my forum I don't want anything other than the current set-up, I don't want a massive list that is irrelevant to what my forum is about) and that, to balance this, there is a 'proper' option to switch it off in the ACP.

They pretty much all say the same thing:

Although the words gender and sex both have the sense ‘the state of being male or female,’ they are typically used in slightly different ways: sex tends to refer to biological differences, while gender refers to cultural or social ones.

You'll also find definitions of gender identity and gender neutral in these dictionaries.

Oh and don't forget, dictionaries always lag behind word usage and only add entries and definitions when they deem them to to be in common usage and meet other criteria. BTW did you know that 'yolo', 'binge-watch' and other such interesting words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary this week? :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28783088

This is a very interesting subject matter for me.
I certainly am looking for another radio for 'other' (please specify) or simply another gender field.
I suppose for now I do have alternative options as others have stated both here and various threads covering the same issue.

Basically I could do with a customisable area in the admin CP where I can add genders so the user can select what they feel is their gender - remember gender is different to sex. (Nowadays anyway)

So yes, this is something I am definitely also interested in.
For an example, I need TS and TV ..

Saying that, I can add user option fields and customise them in my favour.

Top Bottom