Not planned Gender Options

The Dark Wizard

Hey all,

I know I'm going to be told to get an addon for this and normally we would but this is one of those things worth recommending as an addition to the core software.

xF is one of the most modern/up to date on standards forum softwares out there, I know I'm not the only when I say that we should be able to offer more gender options(they shouldn't come locked), an admin should be able to offer any new choice they want upon registration.

We get asked for this a lot on our site and since I really couldn't find a proper suggestion thread for this, here is mine.

Upvote 10
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hm but what other gender do you expect to see?
You can edit the phrase, I replaced (unspecified) with: (not sure / non human / don't wish to tell) :D

Now if it's for some kind of gaming/RP, the solutions above are the way to go.

Hm but what other gender do you expect to see?
You can edit the phrase, I replaced (unspecified) with: (not sure / non human / don't wish to tell) :D

Now if it's for some kind of gaming/RP, the solutions above are the way to go.

Plenty of things. Take the whole gender versus sex thing, for example. Sex is your biological form, while gender is what you identify as.

I would love to see something along the lines of what Facebook has implemented for their gender field -- you fill in a box, it offers popular suggestions (e.g. "Cisgender female," "genderfluid," etc.), and allows you to specify your preferred pronouns (though that could be done through a custom field). I think it's important for modern forum softwares to be more inclusive with their gender options.

I would love to see something along the lines of what Facebook has implemented for their gender field -- you fill in a box, it offers popular suggestions (e.g. "Cisgender female," "genderfluid," etc.), and allows you to specify your preferred pronouns (though that could be done through a custom field). I think it's important for modern forum softwares to be more inclusive with their gender options.
I think it's only important if the gender of the person bears any relevance to the forum in question. Personally, I don't care what gender (or sexuality) a person is, it has no relevance at all to the discussions I have here or on any of my own sites.

I think it's only important if the gender of the person bears any relevance to the forum in question. Personally, I don't care what gender (or sexuality) a person is, it has no relevance at all to the discussions I have here or on any of my own sites.
Well even if it's not necessarily important to the discussions at hand, pronouns are still used often to refer to posters (and very often confused on forums). Not only that, but having gender fields and displaying them is default in pretty much every forum software. I'm not taking a stance on whether or not it should be there (because it already is), but because it is, the options given should be inclusive.

Agreed totally, I need something that will add and extend the gender radios..
I can write a few languages, isn't there a way to add this to the default category at all?

The gender as text field looks interesting but there's things it removes that I need...
Any suggestions to this?

I agree with OP that;

xF is one of the most modern/up to date on standards forum softwares out there, I know I'm not the only when I say that we should be able to offer more gender options(they shouldn't come locked), an admin should be able to offer any new choice they want upon registration.

100%
Would be very interested if there's a way to do so or an add-on that can do this.
Thank you :)

I have to bump such an old thread, but this would be huge. On another board I ran using a different software, we had the following gender options:
  • Male
  • Female
  • Agender
  • Bigender
  • Gender Fluid
  • Transgender
  • Trans MTF
  • Trans FTM
  • Neither
  • Other
We have hugely positive feedback that ended up getting us more members. I know that not everyone understands modern gender identity, but it's becoming increasingly important and for those of us who recognize this it is hugely important to be able to do this without needing to remove gender completely or simply make it a text field.

I totally agree @James W. ! Completely..
We're 2015 now and people identify themselves as many different sexes.

but it's becoming increasingly important and for those of us who recognize this it is hugely important to be able to do this without needing to remove gender completely or simply make it a text field.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I completely agree with this. it's something that needs to be considered to be truthful.

We use the "Gender as Text Field" add-on on our forum - I've found it to be the best way of being inclusive. Just allow the members to choose whatever works for them - allowing them to express themselves generally tends to make them happy, in my experience.

I would quite like to see a variation become core - the option to choose male, female, or a user-defined "other" text box. That way you get the analysable data for most of your userbase, without accidentally excluding those that don't conform to a binary gender (or prefer to be known as a Pokémon, in the case of my members...)

Lets not conflate gender with gender identity and roles.

Gender roles are completely separate from gender identity and gender is completey different from biological sex. The terms have evolved in their meaning and as a progressive company designing this software my hope is that the developers can agree and be more inclusive. I also posted on this old thread instead of starting a new one because I don't like to remake threads and would rather keep one that already has discussion, but a mod is free to split the thread if they wish.

Indeed, we use custom fields right now, so that makes it much easier for members.
Also it helps our members search too as the fields work for searches.

But yes Teapot I agree this would be a much needed feature in core.
lol at Pokémon :D

Top Bottom