Add to Forum to an existing WP on Shared Hosting?

Lv&Lrn

I am rebuilding an old site that had a forum. I've rebuilt the site in WordPress, cPanel shared hosting. Can I add this forum software to the same host? Please assume I have enough hosting resources, like databases etc.

If the answer is no, what do people do who want a WP site for content management, and use this software for the forum typically do?

Lastly, if this is a common question, and there are good resources on this, please feel free to guide me to them.

BTW, I came here because I used builtwith to look at a couple of forums that I use for my other hobby, fixing Mercedes, and this seems to be the winner.

As long as the server meets the requirements and multiple databases are permitted then yes, XF can be installed.

The requirements are:
  • PHP: 7.0 (PHP 8.0 recommended)
  • MySQL: 5.5 (MariaDB / Percona also compatible)
  • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, cURL, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
  • Common PHP functions must not be disabled

and this seems to be the winner.
It is.

You will need to install xenforo into a subdirectory, e.g. /community/ - I would avoid using the word /forums/ for the subdirectory as xenforo uses that within some of its URLs, so you can end up with an ungainly /forums/forums/ URL

Alternatively you could move your Wordpress pages into a subdirectory and install xenforo in the root.

Last edited:
Top Bottom