XF 1.1 Add text to categories like xenforo

tekgirl

How do i add something like this:'You must be a XenForo customer to post in these forums. Ensure your account is listed here."

Thaks

Where do you want this to appear?

I don't think you can require your own members to be XF customers unless you link to the XF database which would not be allowed.

Where is the account to be listed?
Which account?

Sorry but this is not at all clear.

I was just using the text as an example - sorry...the xenforo forum has this text on its category "bar", if you will. That is where I want some of my own text to appear.

Thanks

OK no problem!

Admincp
Applications (top tab)
Display Node Tree (top left or 1st centre icon)

In the centre, click the Category you want to edit with text.
You'll probably see other stuff indented under each Category? depends how much you've set up.

2nd item down is Description:
Write in that box what you want to see on the bar.

If you'd like a line break (like Return on keyboard) put <br />
If you'd like some words in bold put <b> before the first word, and </b> after the last one so the bold words are contained on each side.

Test by refreshing your front site page.
Twiddle - refresh ... till you're happy.

You can choose the colour and size in Style Properties.
You can do fancy stuff too .... different colour per Category etc
lotsa nice design games :)

Ah could be. Try the author of the style.
Do other sites using this style have Cat Descriptions?

If that doesn't fix post again in Troubleshooting. Your problem is not ignorance but something not working as it should.

The instructions above are correct for categories.

Text on hover is only for forums, not categories.

If you want forum description text to show all the time, uncheck Style Properties -> Forum / Node List -> Settings: Enable Forum Descriptions Tooltips

Brogan, I understand that is the way it is supposed to work, but with my style, text on hover occurs for categories as well...which is why I was trying to figure out what the issue is. I get text on hover for both categories and forms. I don't want the text for the forums to show all the time. Just on the categories as is done here.

Thanks

yes, that is what Shan and I were discussing. I have already done so and the new owner is awesome and I am finally getting answers. Hopefully we can figure it out. Thanks for trying!

Ok - I found the setting to make it work (uncheck Display Category Descriptions in a Tooltip), but...the text is next to the category title and doesn't show all the text for that reason. How can I get the text underneath the cat title like XF?

It will probably be best to post that back over at XenStyles for better support as not many here could answer that. In short, it is most likely as designed because the category Image is a certain height, adding under it would probably break the layout. I'm sure there is a workaround though.

Ok - will do - thanks again! I was just wondering if there was a CSS fix that XF did...seems a <br> tag would work, but then again, that may break the layout as you have said.

Top Bottom