1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate add System comment to replays as vbConnect

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by jamalfree, Feb 20, 2014.

1. jamalfree

jamalfree Active Member

hi all
    i suggest to add System comment for replys as vb Connect 5

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You will need to explain for those of us who have never used vB Connect.

jamalfree likes this.
  3. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

4. jamalfree

jamalfree Active Member

5. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

jamalfree likes this.
  6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

StackOverflow is also structured differently than a forum thread. I personally hate the idea of it within threads and posts.

Amaury likes this.
  7. jmurrayhead

True, instead of categories they use tags. Regardless, one size does not always fit all. Imagine the win if a forum software broke the mold and offered a variety of forum functionality like what's available on Stackoverflow, among other communities that build their own software.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Well I meant more of how Stack Overflow structures its "threads". Each post is meant to stand on its own and is ordered by community / asker approval. The comments on each post in that model is more appropriate since any reply is meant to be with that self contained "discussion". Versus a forum who's discussion is a linear progression of back and forth.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be implemented, I'm just saying I hate the idea.

whynot and Amaury like this.
  9. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

This would a great addon for Q and A style forums, but should not be part of the core.

jamalfree likes this.
  10. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

I know this is a core suggestion but isn't there a plugin that does this available? (albeit a bit expensive)

jamalfree likes this.
  11. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

I agree with that.
    Whoever likes it: use it.
    It can be very confusing for many users.

12. jamalfree

jamalfree Active Member

great idea

13. jmurrayhead

That's true - the structure of that is different from your typical forum. However, such an implementation would be quite easy and involve very little changes to the underlying architecture.

Why? Because you don't want to use it?

jamalfree likes this.
  14. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Based on the poll results, not many people would use it. Id rather see development cycles spent on features that many people would actually use.

jamalfree likes this.
  15. jmurrayhead

Not everybody votes on forum polls, especially those made by people who don't represent the business.. I didn't even know that poll existed and I would assume many other XenForo customers didn't either, so to use that as a basis for your argument makes it, well, invalid.

:rolleyes:

jamalfree likes this.
  16. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Its valid. On numerous occasions, XF staff have said that feedback plays a role in which new features are added. As of this post, no one has liked this thread and two people have liked this one.

jamalfree likes this.