Add-on Updates and New Versions

Edward Zurick

Hi All. Hopefully I am asking this in the proper place. I scoured all over trying to find something related to my issue, but with no luck, and hopefully someone can help me understand and help me with this add on update issue...

I am new to xenforo (I came from vbulletin), so be easy please. My issue is with the overwhelming of add-ons and their updates. I only have about 14 add-ons installed, but to be honest, I don't even know where I got a few of them since I found their recommendation on various web searches. An example is the TAC set of add ons for security. Have no idea where I got them anymore.

Anyway, in vbulletin (which I am more familiar with) whenever an author updated their add on, it would show in the vbulletin admin page and easily click to update the add on. Just click. No searching, no downloading -- painless!

Apparently it isn't that easy in xenforo. I see no easy way to know when an add on is updated (such as in the admin page) or an easy way to find (or know) the add on update if there is one. So am I correct that the only way to update an add on is to download the newer version, ftp the upload, and click the add on update in the admin page? There has got to be an easier way to update add on (like in vbulletin -- one freakin click!)

As I said, I only have 14 add ons.. but I am overwhelmed on trying to find out which one's are out of date. Especially since I just updated to 1.2.4. Can anyone help me?

I see no easy way to know when an add on is updated (such as in the admin page) or an easy way to find (or know) the add on update if there is one.
Watch the resources (add-ons) you have installed and ensure you have alerts/emails set for them.

Watch the resources (add-ons) you have installed and ensure you have alerts/emails set for them.

Unfortunately I had some email changes since I purchased xenforo and I suppose the alerts are going to a Hotmail account that I no longer access. I just find it a bit stunning that vbulletin could easily know when an add on was updated and xenforo can't. I mean think of the overwhelming hassles someone would have in my situation if they had 20 or 40 add ons. You can get all the alerts... but the update process is actually mundane and a hassle... you have to FIND the update, then upload the update and run the update xlm.... whereas, vbulletin identified the update for you and one simple click! done!

I did install that upgrage add on Rob Parker suggested. Hopefully it makes things easier to stay updated.

Why would you find it stunning?

XenForo is relatively new software and has only had one first point release and two second point releases.

A quick glance at the suggestions forum shows there are almost 1,200 suggestions.
Not everything can be added in the first few releases.

I'm sure at some point in the future KAM will address this, as @Brogan said... XenForo is relatively new software compared to that of vBulletin et al.

Why would you find it stunning?

XenForo is relatively new software and has only had one first point release and two second point releases.

A quick glance at the suggestions forum shows there are almost 1,200 suggestions.
Not everything can be added in the first few releases.

Well, I realize the software is new. I wasn't trying to be negative, I was just trying to be practical. The main purpose of any forum software, besides the forums/nodes is expandability -- which in my view is the add on capability and ease. I would think any admin/site owner would prefer ease of updates as a priority and since it isn't, that is stunning to me. But its just my opinion. If other customers are content with manually updating each add on, then I guess my opinion doesn't matter.

I would think any admin/site owner would prefer ease of updates as a priority and since it isn't, that is stunning to me. But its just my opinion. If other customers are content with manually updating each add on, then I guess my opinion doesn't matter.
All opinions matter.

The suggestions forum can be sorted by first post likes to get an idea of what the currently most desired suggestions are.

Similarly, if there are any which particularly interest you, ensure you Like the first post.

All opinions matter.

The suggestions forum can be sorted by first post likes to get an idea of what the currently most desired suggestions are.

Similarly, if there are any which particularly interest you, ensure you Like the first post.

Okie Doke... I'll try that.

Top Bottom