Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by AndyB, Jul 26, 2013.
It would be a nice addition to have a Merge Threads function in the Thread Tools drop down menu.
I can understand the convenience of this, but unfortunately it's not feasible.
For merge threads to function, you need to have two or more threads selected via inline moderation. Otherwise there's no way of knowing which thread you want to merge into. The only way then, to select other threads to merge, would be to type in the thread IDs. So by the time you've discovered what those thread IDs are, you'd might as well just leave the thread and use the inline moderation.
Your above comment I think is inaccurate. Currently we can merge two threads like this:
1) Check "Select for Thread Moderation" in the Thread Tools drop down (this is done while viewing a thread)
2) Check the inline moderation check box (this is done while viewing a forum)
3) Click Merge Threads... from the drop down
At this point the oldest thread title will be used, but there's an option to select the newer thread title.
This function would save a lot of time. vbulletin had this function down quite well. There needs to be a merge threads function from within the thread. From that function it should be easy to find the other thread or to enter the url of the other thread.
Andy's way would work fine as well.
There is an add-on for this. I know it, because we have that feature in our thread tools menu. And we use it very often.
So, yes this is missing in the core and I second this suggestion.
Another YES for this functionality.
A thread has been reported, it's a duplicate or I want to merge it into another. I have too....
1. Click and open the thread from the report (not functionality to select the thread from the /report/ URL!)
2. Exit the thread and go back to it's forum.
3. Scan the forum titles to find the thread that I was in from step 1, and tick to select it.
4. Use search to find the matching/target thread that I want to merge it into.
5. From search, click the thread to open (because, like Report, I cannot select the thread from search results)
6. Exit the thread and go back to it's forum.
7. Scan the forum titles to find the thread that I was in from step 1, and tick to select it and perform the merge.
7 steps, very manual and intensive, just to merge the threads together.
Please make this a much easier and friendly user experience in XF!
Having thread moderation options on search results would also make this easier
You can reduce the drastically:
When you enter the thread via the thread, click on "Thread Tools", select thread for moderation for both threads you want to merge, go into the forum, and click on "Selected Threads" in the upper right hand corner.
Wasn't this functionality added in 1.3 ?
No, Merge thread doesn't exist in thread tools.
Separate names with a comma.