Not planned Add "Cancel" button to thread edit page

RichardKYA

In the inline edit overlay there is a "Cancel" button, but if you click "More Options" which redirects you to the full edit page with a few more options, there is no "Cancel" button.

Overlay...

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 17.58.38.webp

Page...

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 17.59.08.webp

I know user's can click "Back" on their browser, but I think it would just be easier to have a "Cancel" button in the page, plus it will be consistent with the Overlay.

Thank you

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Well, the use case is pretty different, so there's no real need to make them consistent.

An overlay requires a clear indication of how to back out because in this case pressing the back button would take you out of the thread completely which isn't desirable.

The exclusion of the cancel button everywhere else is actually explicit; in the templates which load in an overlay, they can theoretically be rendered in a normal page, too (such as if you open the link in a new tab), we explicitly give the button a special "OverlayOnly" class in most cases which would make the button only show when rendered inside an overlay.

Everywhere else the navigation would be done by using the browser's back button, or even better the breadcrumb navigation. Obviously there's no breadcrumb on the overlay so that's another reason why the cancel button is required there.

As such, I can't see the need for this.

Many of my members ask for a cancel button.
All those it is a logical option to have one.
I know there is the drafts tool tip, but people only find that by chance.

Top Bottom