Add an ACP option to change the time limit for the What's New page

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
As per the original thread here (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/forum-what´s-new-it-shows-no-results-found.5925/), it would be useful if there was an easy way to adjust the time limit for which "new" threads are displayed on the What's New Page.

For smaller, less busy forums, it can be a little disconcerting to constantly see the "No results found." message.

Increasing the time limit to 5 or even 7 days will help to at least make the forum appear busier than it actually is, thereby promoting more activity.

Currently it is set at 3 days/72 hours.
If you want to change it then you need to edit library/xenforo/controllerpublic/findnew.php
PHP:
if ($days < 1)
  {
    $days = 3;
  }
If you want it be set to 5 days for example, change it to:
PHP:
if ($days < 1)
  {
    $days = 5;
  }
It would just be easier if this was an ACP setting to avoid having to manually edit the file.

Upvote 16
Can I add to this suggestion as well?

I would like the option for my members to be able to easily search for a posts from a period of time. Say the last 24 hours, or 48 hours, or the last week, the last 6 month period.

In vB there was a mod that did this and when I moved to IPB it was one of the biggest things my members missed. I hacked a solution together using IPB Active Topic link which gives my members a drop down list where they can choose the range of their search of posts.

The drop down list includes these options:
View Unread Content
12 hour
24 hours
2 days
4 days
Your Content

So, I would like to add to this suggestion that it not only give us a way to increase the time limit, but would also allow us to offer more choices to our members in their search for new posts.

Thanks!

Jamie

at my XF-website, the posts are disappearing from the "What´s new" after 20 minutes.
So a reply to a certain post only remained for 20 minutes in the "What´s new" section.

This really needs to be adjustable in terms of how long threads show as "new".

at my XF-website, the posts are disappearing from the "What´s new" after 20 minutes.
So a reply to a certain post only remained for 20 minutes in the "What´s new" section.

This really needs to be adjustable in terms of how long threads show as "new".
That makes no sense to me, the minimum time is 1 day when posts are marked as read, when they have not been read. Could you be thinking of the Alerts?

Admincp -> options -> Threads, Discussions and Conversations -> Read Marking Data Lifetime = number of days threads will be set to unread (if they have not been read)

when I click onto "Forum / What´s New" at my website, it does not show anything.

It says "No results found." , although there are a few threads and posts already.

Is there something wrong at my settings or is this normal when there are not that many threads yet ?

Exactly.

Did you see the 'all recent messages' link on the far right, which will go back farther in time?

"Whats New" then to the far right hand side... (it may show up differently if there are no newish posts, I've not tried it).

Did you see the 'all recent messages' link on the far right, which will go back farther in time?

"Whats New" then to the far right hand side... (it may show up differently if there are no newish posts, I've not tried it).

I think what would be nice is if the What's New search didn't find any results then it would automatically pull up the all recent messages and give a phrase at the top stating that there isn't any new threads, but here are some of the most recent threads from the site..

Jamie

I think what would be nice is if the What's New search didn't find any results then it would automatically pull up the all recent messages and give a phrase at the top stating that there isn't any new threads, but here are some of the most recent threads from the site..
Jamie
+1
That was exactly my suggestion.

I did mention something like this, and there's a parameter you can append to the find-new/threads to specify how many days. Append ?days=x to specify how many days.

Paul, the quickest fix I can suggest for that is to manually build it to the navigation template so that the number of days specified is built into the link.
{xen:link 'find-new/threads/?days=x'}

Oh it wasn't for me really, this thread came about as a result of someone else asking about it.
I just made the suggestion on their behalf :)

Paul, the quickest fix I can suggest for that is to manually build it to the navigation template so that the number of days specified is built into the link.
{xen:link 'find-new/threads/?days=x'}
That should be: {xen:link 'find-new/threads', '', 'days=x'} (haven't actually tested that :)) Obviously it only works in our own templates.

That should be: {xen:link 'find-new/threads', '', 'days=x'} (haven't actually tested that :)) Obviously it only works in our own templates.
Yeah, I wasn't sure how the extra parameters worked (off the top of my head) so I just did a direct link :)

Any word on if this is actually going to be implemented?

I don't think people necessarily want another setting, what they really want is for the "What's New" link to never lead to a blank page, it should always show the newest posts, even if they're relatively old. Why not have the What's New page show the last 3 days worth of posts or the newest 100 posts, whichever is greater (or something to that effect). That way you give people what they want without cluttering up the ACP with another setting.

Top Bottom