Adblock - and how you deal with it?

kaieivindm

Hi,

I am just curious how other people using Xenfor reacts to users with Adblock?
I don't even have ads on my site yet, but thinking of it going forward.

However what I noticed with some users, is that when they are in fact using Adblock, they don't show in Google Analytics realtime overview, which annoys me in the start phase of my site because I can't track anything.

Before you start saying Adblock doesnt do anything with GA, I had this tested with users and it's quite consistent that users with Adblock ON - does not show up in GA realtime.

So how do you guys deal with this? Is it an issue at all? Do you configure GA to look for Adblock users and keep track of them that way?

Thanks!

Most addon detectors (and ads) fail hilariously when you add the 3rd party ad provider domain to a security zone which makes the scripts die weirdly.

And people using adblocking probably will use something which auto-updates to get around your ad blocking detection.

Most addon detectors (and ads) fail hilariously when you add the 3rd party ad provider domain to a security zone which makes the scripts die weirdly.

And none of these can mitigate on this at all? I mean there has to be a known reason why it should and will fail I assume?

And none of these can mitigate on this at all? I mean there has to be a known reason why it should and will fail I assume?
It is an arms race, one in which the end-user has a significant advantage.

As long as the adblocker detection code and styling isn't an integrated part of the entire web site; slicing it off will be fairly straight forward.

Tricks can be done to detect the filtering, but as it's client side script it is hideously valuable to things like NoScript which just stops arbitrary scripts from loading in the first place.

It is an arms race, one in which the end-user has a significant advantage.

As long as the adblocker detection code and styling isn't an integrated part of the entire web site; slicing it off will be fairly straight forward.

Tricks can be done to detect the filtering, but as it's client side script it is hideously valuable to things like NoScript which just stops arbitrary scripts from loading in the first place.

OK - thanks for the explanation.

We disallow the usage of ad blockers in our terms and rules agreement with our users. So we will theoretically be able to block access to our site for ad block users or even close their account.

Also this helps to prevent discussing about it in the forums.

We disallow the usage of ad blockers in our terms and rules agreement with our users. So we will theoretically be able to block access to our site for ad block users or even close their account.

Also this helps to prevent discussing about it in the forums.

Nice, that's another good way of doing it.

I'm sure @rellect can explain more about how his adblock detector works against a range of adblockers. It seems pretty comprehensive.

@rellect maybe you can do some explanation on how it works here? I can't be the only one being curious about it? (y)
I was about to write some explanation and accidentally clicked the post button. I deleted the previous message.
So thanks @Martok for the recommendation.

Basically, to detect adblockers I'm testing against a resource that I know adblockers will block. If the resource was not blocked, then I can tell that no adblock found.
It's more complicated than that, as adblockers sometimes tries to trick you with false results, and there are differences between browsers, but based on feedback and experience I have improved the detection code to catch those cases. And I'm still improving it with each feedback.

Currently my addon cam detect most, if not all, adblockers on the market, on any browser.

I was about to write some explanation and accidentally clicked the post button. I deleted the previous message.
So thanks @Martok for the recommendation.

Basically, to detect adblockers I'm testing against a resource that I know adblockers will block. If the resource was not blocked, then I can tell that no adblock found.
It's more complicated than that, as adblockers sometimes tries to trick you with false results, and there are differences between browsers, but based on feedback and experience I have improved the detection code to catch those cases. And I'm still improving it with each feedback.

Currently my addon cam detect most, if not all, adblockers on the market, on any browser.

Thanks for the answer.

Top Bottom