ACP edit user - Preferences incomplete

AndyB

When editing a user in the Admin control panel, we have the following:

1564660495106.webp

Currently the Preferences drop down shows only a limited number of user preferences. Please add the missing preferences. Currently there is no way of knowing how user preferences are set.

Thank you.

Upvote 16
Currently in the Admin control panel we have:

1564670591089.webp

These are the options a member sees when they click their Preferences:

1564670675533.webp

It looks like currently in the Admin control panel we can see and edit three of the user preferences which are available in the members preferences. Ideally it would be great if we could see and edit all the ones which are available to the members preferences.

Thank you.

I agree - it would be logical for admin to have the ability to administrate all user options. WIthout it we have to cobble together a solution which involves a separate addon and asking the user if they are OK with us logging into their account.

This is a problem.

I accidentally sent a marketing letter to premium users. The wrong group. Lots unsubscribed. Now they cant get any product announcements. We have to hope they see announcement in forum to go edit their preferences in profile. I can mass edit them.

I agree - it would be logical for admin to have the ability to administrate all user options. WIthout it we have to cobble together a solution which involves a separate addon and asking the user if they are OK with us logging into their account.
But if we have access to their preferences via ACP we don't need to ask them if they are OK with us changing their preferences? I mean, I get that there is a need for this and I can think of a couple times I might have used it myself, but I am a forum user as well as an administrator and might get a bit peeved if I turned something off, then had the admin turn it back on because they thought I should have it "on."

This is a problem.

I accidentally sent a marketing letter to premium users. The wrong group. Lots unsubscribed. Now they cant get any product announcements. We have to hope they see announcement in forum to go edit their preferences in profile. I can mass edit them.
Then make the announcement and use a notice or something to call attention to it, but should it not be their decision as to whether to turn it back on? At the very least, if we had this ability, I would still feel a moral obligation to tell them I did it and how they can turn it off again if that is what they really want.

I am not against the suggestion in principle, but there's a slippery slope when we admins begin changing settings in something called "Preferences". Frankly, if you don't want them turning it off, then it shouldn't be a "user preference."

Anyhow, I am voting this up, just wondering if people will give some thought to how and when to use it.

Bumping this as it's such an obvious feature to have. It would be very useful indeed to have it and I recently needed to access user's preferences, but was unable to. Please add it in the next release.

Everyone: please upvote this suggestion.

Top Bottom