XF 1.4 Account permissions - differences etc

Glockie

Hello all,
I am rummaging through the permissions and have a question, if no one minds helping?
I have set user groups as gold and platinum... But I am confused with the permissions tree.
I've read the user guide and still I can't satisfy my question..

What is the difference between;
Users > User Groups >Gold Member
and
Users> Gold Member

The reason I ask, is I am adjusting one or two things and I've noticed there are TWO paths to the same set of permissions...
If I adjust something in one area, will it adjust in the other?

I hope I'm making sense..

Thank you very much in advance..
sorry for the newbie question too. I've been plugging away at my forums for what feels like yonks, due to rl commitments and only now am I finding things that I need to consider.

The main difference is that Users > User Groups > User group name (accessed by clicking ACP > Users > List User Groups > User group name) gives you access to the user group name, display styling priority, user banner stuff and the user group permissions.

whereas Users > User group name (accessed by clicking ACP > Users > User Group Permissions > User group name) only gives access to the user group permissions.

It doesn't matter in which of these you set the permissions as they are the same.

In case you have not come across these, I would highly recommend you read this guide on using permissions across multiple user groups, which describes the recommended way of setting up group permissions.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

Also this guide on understanding permissions is very useful.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

Thanks once more Martok for the help..
I have read one of these items but not both.

With regards to this;
Do not use Never as it can't be overridden.

Is that an issue then? As I have set this for unregistered users....

That aside, okay thank you. I was confused as to why there are two set paths basically leading to the same thing.
Thanks again mate, appreciated. :)

Is that an issue then? As I have set this for unregistered users....
That means those permissions won't ever be available to any member, regardless of the permissions in the secondary user groups.

Set them to Not Set (No) instead and then you can Allow them for secondary user groups as required.

That means those permissions won't ever be available to any member, regardless of the permissions in the secondary user groups.

Set them to Not Set (No) instead and then you can Allow them for secondary user groups as required.

I see.
Okay thank you for clarifying that for me.
Many thanks

Top Bottom