1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win7 vs. SnowLeo (browser-comparison) - apparent differences in font-sizes

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Dietmar, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Dietmar

Dietmar Member

I stumbled across this experience:

I´m mainly using SnowLeopard, mostly Safari and Chrome over the last weeks, so I noticed no difference in the fontsize of xenforo so far.

When I was on Windows 7 yesterday and opened xenforo on Chrome for the first time, I noticed the significantly smaller size of the message-font.

So I performed a comparison on both operating systems with the following results:

Windows7
    Firefox 3.6, Chrome 6 and Safari (most recent version) and Opera 10 are having the same look exactly (smaller fonts).

SnowLeopard 10.6.4
    Chrome 6, Safari 5 and Opera 10 are having the same look - with larger fonts than their windows-versions. Only Firefox 3.6 is giving the same impression like it´s windows-counterpart with a smaller font-size.

I like the smaller font-size more, but I have no clue how to force Chrome, Safari and Opera on Snow Leopard to give me this look.

Maybe a noob-question, but I couldn´t resist. :)

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You could use browser detection to adjust font size but it might be a lot of work due to the number of different fonts in use throughout the code.

I currently use browser detection on my site to set specific CSS for IE6 and IE7 due to them, well, just not working properly.

3. Dietmar

Dietmar Member

Thank you for your answer! :)
    Apologies for the misunderstandable first post - I didn´t set up a xenForo-site of my own so far, I just happened to watch those font-rendering-differences within this site.

I waited a bit - searching around the web - and still have no sufficient idea with this outcome.
    I compared my own vbulletin-forum with the default-fonts and the default-style with the official ipb-board (with standard-fonts and standard-style AFAIK) and with this site.

The vbulletin-message-fonts are looking identically on all webkit-browsers (Safari/Chrome) + Opera on both platforms (Snow Leopard and Windows7). The ipb-board-message-fonts ditto. Firefox seems to render the vb-fonts a tad bigger under MacOSX.

The message-fonts of this site are looking identically on all webkit-browsers + Opera on Windows.
    The same fonts are rendering identically bigger on all webkit-browsers (Safari/Chrome) + Opera under MacOSX. Interestingly Firefox under MacOSX is rendering the xenForo-message-fonts here with the same size as under Windows (as far as I perceived it).

So the difference in rendering-outcomes must have something to do with the font-choice here in interaction with rendering-techniques on both platforms/browsers. I remember a font-change a few weeks ago here, since then the message-fonts are significantly bigger in Snow Leopard.

I´d like to give my users the same "layout"-experience on both os-platforms. Perhaps I´ll be able to choose a font within my upcoming xenForo-installation, which will meet this need. But I´m still wondering about the mentioned differences.