Implemented Ablity to give a Moderator permission to a regular usergroup without making them moderators.

anotheralias

I would like to be able to give any usergroup a "Moderator" permission, as opposed to, having to make everyone a moderator just so I can let them (for example) sticky a thread.

:)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
You can do that quite easily.

Just give that user/group the ability to manage and stick threads.
I have one of my users set up like that.

Thanks for the reply, Brogan! It's not working for me. The only option I see to let them stick threads is in "Moderator permissions." And I thought that those applied to whatever usergroup I was giving permissions to -- but they don't, because I granted permissions like sticking threads and nobody is seeing those options. Or is this in the latest upgrade - I haven't installed it yet?

I just selected a user and gave them custom permissions as follows:

acp_forum_moderator_permissions.webp

That makes the Thread Tools link available with the options of Edit and Move Thread.
The Moderator Toolbar and the inline mod tools aren't available.

You could also do this at group level.

I don't believe there's any difference between Beta 2 and Beta 3 with regards to this functionality.

Thanks for the reply, Brogan! It's not working for me. The only option I see to let them stick threads is in "Moderator permissions." And I thought that those applied to whatever usergroup I was giving permissions to -- but they don't, because I granted permissions like sticking threads and nobody is seeing those options. Or is this in the latest upgrade - I haven't installed it yet?

If you give only the option to stick threads, then the member can stick their thread on creation, or stick threads when replying (using the more options button).

Ok I see, I can do it with individual user permissions. That's a little clunky though, I'd rather be able to make it a usergroup permission. Or even a usergroup permission in a specific node would be better than having to do it individually. But, at least you've shown me a way to do it for now - thanks!

Ok I see, I can do it with individual user permissions. That's a little clunky though, I'd rather be able to make it a usergroup permission.
You can.
Just create a group with the permissions you want and add the users to it.

If you also want those users to show as staff then you will need to specifically make them Moderators.
Just make sure your moderator permissions are set lower than the permissions of the other group.

Personally I have all my Moderating user group permissions set to Default.
By doing this I can make a member a moderator which gives them the title and marks them as staff but doesn't give them any additional permissions from the standard Registered user group.
That means I can specifically grant different moderators different permissions either by using other user groups or directly.

I did that Brogan - I created a new usergroup and I allowed some of the things in the section "Forum moderator permissions" for it, but users are not seeing these permissions/options. But if it can be done then I guess I didn't do it right, so I'll start over from scratch and try again. Thanks for your help! :)

Top Bottom