XF 1.5 How do I give mods the ability to moderate registrations (anti-spam) without making them admins?

I think that in order to gain access to the "Users Awaiting Approval" to approve or reject user registrations, based on if the users matched information contained within the StopForumSpam database, moderators have to be granted access to the admin usergroup with the permissions to administrate users.

All I want them to have is the ability to use this que (located at forumurl.com/admin.php?users/moderated) and approve/reject people joining. Is this possible? I can't handle it all by myself - currently 350+ people awaiting approval.

You can assign various permissions when creating administrators.

upload_2015-9-13_18-36-39.webp

The 'Manage users and moderators' permission is what you need, but bear in mind it will allow for more than just approving new members.

You can assign various permissions when creating administrators.

View attachment 116815

The 'Manage users and moderators' permission is what you need, but bear in mind it will allow for more than just approving new members.

That is exactly why I wish it was a moderator permission. I don't see how "user moderation" should be delegated to the admin-usergroup only. Also that will mess up the user banners I have set up on the site for the admin usergroup. And I don't want mods having privileges that I don't want them using, just so that they can moderate user registrations.

Is there any way it could be given to people only in the Super Moderator usergroup, somehow? Even open to the idea of commissioning something custom, but I think this is also something that the xenForo Development Team should look into, because to me it doesn't make much sense that general moderation activities should be an admin permission, rather than a moderation permission.

I don't see how "user moderation" should be delegated to the admin-usergroup only.
What you are talking about isn't user moderation anyway, it's approving or denying access to the forums for new registrants. Rejecting, of course, leads to deletion of the registered user. IMO this isn't a moderator function and is rightly assigned to those with administrative access, though of course as Brogan has said, you can limit what admin access they have.

What you are talking about isn't user moderation anyway, it's approving or denying access to the forums for new registrants. Rejecting, of course, leads to deletion of the registered user. IMO this isn't a moderator function and is rightly assigned to those with administrative access, though of course as Brogan has said, you can limit what admin access they have.

It just seems like a low-level maintenance task that really piles up for larger forums. Honestly I don't care much if a new user (who isn't even allowed to post yet) gets deleted occasionally. My mods are awesome and I think the error % will be low. But I can't keep up myself and always have 100s in the que. But I don't want the other admin privileges associated with "User Administration" going out to other people.

I'll reach out to some of the plugin devs I've worked with to create a moderator-accessible registration que. Thanks for your response.

Top Bottom