A SSD, yes but which one?

I have an OCZ Agility that I bought just about a year ago (11 months) that's been running great since I got it. Intel are supposed to have the higher reliability drives from all reports though. But, I went with the best bang for my buck and figured, if it died, it died. So far, so good though.

Ok so I have bought 4tb replacements for all of my 1.5 tb storage drives. Those are going in next weekend when I can set aside two whole days to go thru all my data and decide how to structure everything.

I have also started building a new cable tv/dvr server for my secondary network and all of those previously mentioned 1.5tb hdds are being moved into the server to serve previously recorded broadcasts and to act as write space and storage for the central dvr recorder.

I need an ssd for my primary machine and one for my DVRserver. I want to go go as fast as possible with out going into a level of ridiculousness that would be under-described as overkill.

My primary drive needs 500GB or close and greater, and my other just needs enough space to run a custom build of ubuntu, 1-2 gigs of apps, and temp space for capture writes that will get moved to another drive on complete bringing that drive to 50 gigs or better. Anyone have anything good to say about any drives close to those 2 general sizes?

Ok so I have bought 4tb replacements for all of my 1.5 tb storage drives. Those are going in next weekend when I can set aside two whole days to go thru all my data and decide how to structure everything.

I have also started building a new cable tv/dvr server for my secondary network and all of those previously mentions 1.5tb hdds are being moved into the server to serve previously recorded broadcasts and to act as write space and storage for the central dvr recorder.

I need an ssd for my primary machine and one for my DVRserver. I want to go go as fast as possible with out going into a level of ridiculousness that would be under-described as overkill.

My primary drive needs 500GB or close and greater, and my other just needs enough space to run a custom build of ubuntu, 1-2 gigs of apps, and temp space for capture writes that will get moved to another drive on complete bringing that drive to 50 gigs or better. Anyone have anything good to say about any drives close to those 2 general sizes?

For the 500gb drive, go for 2x Corsair Force 3 240gb drives and raid 0 them.

For the smaller one, anything by intel or samsung.

Vertex 3 (a couple of months ago) was the fastest consumer SSD. I'd highly recommend one. I run an Intel X-25M G2 and I've had no issues, but my next drive will definitely be an OCZ. Intel are lagging behind. Even their top of the range consumer drives are inferior to OCZ nowadays.

my pc takes about 50 seconds to boot from the moment I push the on button. 8 seconds boot time is sounds pretty awesome. will have to check into this ssd.

Top Bottom