A sincere outlet

When will this die
When people such as the OP actually avail themselves of xenforo's checks for bad actor devs such as he describes? Instead of posting anecdotal random rant threads about he or she or some other friend who got ripped off or had a bad experience, therefore all devs are bad and mom needs to take a more firm hand?

I would simply like to begin to consider a similar system, I sketch, to Upwork, but managed by XenForo in such a way as to ban those who behave badly - as happens there - and reward those who behave well.
And Upwork, by the smell, does not seem to me founded by an association of mothers and fathers who want to protect defenseless children.
Upwork and other such companies, ARE Mom. Their Mommyness IS what they sell!

xenForo is a software company, not Mom. It sells software, it's not a regulatory body. You want them to be, Mom. They're not Mom. They're not selling Mommyness and aren't claiming to be. Most all of us here, don't want them to be Mom. Most all of us here, don't need a Mom.

If you simply gotta have Mommy protect you from the mean ole world out there, as pointed out before you CAN choose to use escrow companies and other Moms as a regulatory body in all of your online transactions with freelance devs! Ain't that cool? You have the freedom to do that!

Your essential argument is, too much freedom brought down vBulletin and you're afraid it's happening here with xenForo. Your complaint is, there's just dog-gonnit too much freedom involved! YOU want it all to be much more authoritarian!

Bad devs didn't bring down vBulletin. Bad decisions by the corporate entity, did. And it would be a toweringly bad decision for xF, if it listened to your cries for moar Mom and tried to become our Mom. If you need Mom you can get and pay for, Mom. Don't insist on foisting your idea of Mom, on the rest of us.

The constant debate over third party developers, attacking their quality, etc is why many left XenForo. When will this die.
I see. So if one day XenForo, I say absurdly, fails, would it be the fault of this thread?
Sounds interesting!
But you haven't convinced me.
Don't you suspect that if someone leave XenForo, could it be because there is some problem to solve?
Because I know of people who left XenForo for the same reasons that led me to open this thread.
I do not consider my person so important as to open a debate about things that only concern me.

When we see threads like this we should just ignore it tbh, or link to the 50 others that exist.
You have a keen sense of democracy and respect for freedom of speech. Allow me to congratulate you.

The reason I came to XenForo was because of the community (and beautiful theming but for another discussion), maybe I'm in the minority. People like @Brogan, @Shelley, Miko, John S, @Matt W countless others investing their time and effort into the software made it a place I knew I wanted to spend my time.

After witnessing this moving hike, I would like to emphasize that no one has ever allowed themselves to downplay the quality of the people you mentioned.
I have opened a debate on a problem. If you disagree, write it with the same kindness with which I am discussing. If you don't care about the issue, don't answer.
But exhorting others to ignore this thread is not exactly a respectful behavior towards me.

1. XenForo will not die due to third party developers.
  2. vB did not die due to third party developers.
  3. If someone is burned by a third party developer, that is on them, not XenForo.

For every bad developer that rips people off out there in the world, there are 20 fold the amount of customers that rip developers off.

Both parties involved in a business transaction are responsible for their own protection, not XenForo.

I never said you shouldn't be able to create a thread, I am indeed Democratic in that way, I just don't think its worth anyones time. Its an age old argument around here if you were not away @Miacommunity

No one said that you did.

What you have done is paint the freelance devs here with far too broad of a brush, accusing them all of acting in bad faith, dishonesty and in some cases outright theft.
None of this.
I have only asked the question that according to my humble opinion, we should try to build a system that better protects the customer. And the programmer too.
Because I know very well that there are also so many time-consuming customers and scammers.

This isn't the way. They have systems in place for you to make them aware of problems. In their systems, you can get very specific, name names, and actually have some chance of improving matters. All you're doing here is casting aspersions on freelance devs, and spewing some nonsensical stuff about what you think happened to vBulletin.
Having been a vBulletin customer since 1999 and having managed about fifty forums through this software, I think I have, in my own small way, the right to express my opinion on what happened to vBulletin.
I didn't "spit" anything. I expressed my point of view as a customer.
I moved away from the vBulletin world for the reasons I explained, as did others.
You think differently.
No problem.

You offer no solutions, no specifics and no facts. You so far offer only anecdotal garbage, deflection, dissembling and broad brushing.
In fact, my task is not to establish the exact solution, accurate to the millimeter, of how to solve the problem.
I indicated a direction, you ridiculed it, but in the meantime I pointed that direction. You can't say I didn't make any proposals.ù
In addition to having brought my point of view as a customer, which then is the one that, always in its own small way, buys the licenses and helps to run the carriage.

Upwork and other such companies, ARE Mom. Their Mommyness IS what they sell!

xenForo is a software company, not Mom. It sells software, it's not a regulatory body. You want them to be, Mom. They're not Mom. They're not selling Mommyness and aren't claiming to be. Most all of us here, don't want them to be Mom. Most all of us here, don't need a Mom.

If you simply gotta have Mommy protect you from the mean ole world out there, as pointed out before you CAN choose to use escrow companies and other Moms as a regulatory body in all of your online transactions with freelance devs! Ain't that cool? You have the freedom to do that!

Your essential argument is, too much freedom brought down vBulletin and you're afraid it's happening here with xenForo. Your complaint is, there's just dog-gonnit too much freedom involved! YOU want it all to be much more authoritarian!

Bad devs didn't bring down vBulletin. Bad decisions by the corporate entity, did. And it would be a toweringly bad decision for xF, if it listened to your cries for moar Mom and tried to become our Mom. If you need Mom you can get and pay for, Mom. Don't insist on foisting your idea of Mom, on the rest of us.
If you want to trivialize the question, go ahead.
I have brought my point of view that, beyond any flame, it is reduced to a very clear and clear fact.
In my opinion XenForo should begin to regulate the relationship between user and programmer in the interest of XenForo itself.
Do you say that the cause of vBulletin's decline was not the lack of freedom? It is your opinion and respect.
My opinion, as a customer, is that vBulletin has lost its attractiveness precisely because the staff has not been able to control the many scammers and wasters who raged on the vbulletin.org site.
And I do not go further because there would be things to say, very serious.
The above is what brought me - and many people I know - to abandon vBulletin.
Do you want to ignore my speech? Absolute right.
But I gave you my customer point of view.

None of this.
I have only asked the question
hostility of the XenForo freelancer universe
That's not asking a question. It's making a blanket accusation. Which to be fair, it seems you deleted from the linked post. But, it was there.
In my opinion XenForo should begin to regulate the relationship between user and programmer in the interest of XenForo itself.
They do. You seem to be averse to using the avenues they have provided.
My opinion, as a customer, is that vBulletin has lost its attractiveness precisely because the staff has not been able to control the many scammers and wasters who raged on the vbulletin.org site.
This premise is nonsense, as many others in this thread have explained.

You continue to deflect, essentially trying to say that people who disagree with you, who reply with their own opinions AND outright facts, are somehow trying to stop you from posting your opinion. That's not true at all. But people ARE going to reply whether you like it or not.

Everything you have said, you could have put into an email to the xF staff using the "contact us" form. And not have all these replies. You posted a public thread instead, and expect the public here not to reply?

Growacet.

Over the years we have taken action multiple times to make developers aware of what is expected of them when distributing resources on this site.

Currently those expectations are listed here: https://xenforo.com/community/help/resource-standards/

When listing a resource, there are also requirements which must be met: https://xenforo.com/community/help/resource-guidelines/

If an end user identifies a security issue with a resource, or other vulnerability, they should follow these guidelines: https://xenforo.com/community/help/resource-vulnerabilities/

If a member of this site feels a developer is not adhering to the rules then they can use the report function for a specific resource (or member), or contact a member of staff via conversation here on the forum, or via the contact us link: https://xenforo.com/contact/

Whenever we have been made aware of an issue in such a manner it has been investigated and action has been taken, when required and possible.

Obviously if the problem relates to a dispute between third parties then any action we can take is limited as we have no knowledge of what was agreed between the parties.
Essentially it is a case of "he said", "she said" and we have no way of confirming which party's account is accurate.

Ultimately though, if we are not informed of any issues then there is nothing we can do, as we are not aware there is a problem.

One thing we wouldn't get involved in is pricing.
If a developer wants to charge $2,000 for an add-on then that is their prerogative.

As a buyer you have a choice not to purchase their product.

You continue to deflect, essentially trying to say that people who disagree with you, who reply with their own opinions AND outright facts, are somehow trying to stop you from posting your opinion. That's not true at all. But people ARE going to reply whether you like it or not.
I never said this nonsense. I just answered in kind to one who asked to ignore my thread.

Everything you have said, you could have put into an email to the xF staff using the "contact us" form. And not have all these replies. You posted a public thread instead, and expect the public here not to reply?
Can you, please, mention where I would have said I didn't want answers?
Thanks.

Yes, but I can distinguish a normal question from a rhetorical question.
Question was a product of your replies to people. It wasn't rhetorical at all. I was really asking the question.

But, all of this is just semantics now and not useful. And I only just realized it's possible that English isn't your first language. If so that explains some of the communication problems I've seen in this thread. It's possible I might have been taking you too literally. But certianly not seriously.

And with that I tip my hat to you and say, see ya.

I have no problem with the English language or at least not such as not to understand what you write and to make me understand.
You are trying to play with words with me.

This thread provides some of the best entertainment I've seen for some time !

archer_smiley.gif

Top Bottom