A must read thread(s)..

I can't say I've ever really had a problem searching.
I've certainly never had to use Google.

I dunno, I think biker is onto a good thing with hitting the member on the nose with a newspaper approach. If I had to improve upon that, I would ensure that the newspaper used is the Sunday edition, as they hold more pages to effectively get that point across when a member refuses to read and he/she gets belted on the nose with the extra thick, more paged sunday editon. (news of the world) comes to mind. :LOL:

Personally, I think I admire Bikers approach. And to extend on that where Maddox said it best but I'll change the wording slightly
If your members don't look like this when your log onto your site, your failing as an admin
Just.. this :D

I can't say I've ever really had a problem searching.
I've certainly never had to use Google.

Take a real poll here if you have interest in what people do and whether they find what they are looking for.

I'd say I am rarely able to find what I am looking for without very exact wording. In fact, I have started purposely wording my answers and post here so that the XF search can find them!

I don't consider it an XF fault, just that most people are used to the very high intelligence (fuzziness) built into google, and having to be exact (no relation of one term to another, mis-spellings, etc.) is not part of our everyday search experience on the modern web.

I'm pretty sure if you redirected a new user to a page that had something like:

<blink>Read this before you continue!</blink>​

They're still going to ignore it. There's always going to be users that, for whatever reason, really hate reading anything unless they ask the question themselves. :cautious:
Take a real poll here if you have interest in what people do and whether they find what they are looking for.

I'd say I am rarely able to find what I am looking for without very exact wording. In fact, I have started purposely wording my answers and post here so that the XF search can find them!

I don't consider it an XF fault, just that most people are used to the very high intelligence (fuzziness) built into google, and having to be exact (no relation of one term to another, mis-spellings, etc.) is not part of our everyday search experience on the modern web.
It comes down to knowing what you're looking for. People are quick to blame the search here, but what are they actually typing? Like Brogan, I haven't had any issues searching for things, and I don't think I'm actually being very specific at times or feel like I need to except for rare instances (but that happens even with Google).

I have to admit there have been a number of occasion where I've search for something and the results where less than favourable and it came back with results not relevant for what I was searching for. That being said, that was for someone who didn't actually search but after a few attempts it came back with the results I was after. Personally, I'd rather go without and not even create a topic asking for something because I've always seen it as being a burden on someone and their time.

If I'm after something, looking for it I'll eventually find it.

That also being said, I think people do search (majority are just too lazy) and they give up after the first attempt and rely on others who know what keywords to input to find exactly what they are looking for.

Eitherway, you'll always get people asking for <insert query here> it's something that will always exist no matter what implementations you add to combat it.

*stop typing Shelley this post is getting too long* *gets whack with the news of the world on the nose* Untitled-3_03.webp

Why stop at a timer and check box for confused newbies who just need help and reassurance? Why not electrocute them, or shoot them? Problem solved and it will send an important message to other newbies who dare to ask the same questions over and over :eek:
This needs to be a core feature! ;)

The proof is in the pudding.
Goog is one of the largest companies and best brands in the world because they did search better than others...

Many people here are in the 1 or 2% of top knowledgeable internet users. Just having or wanting to install a forum puts you in the top 1/4 or so (a guess!).

I could give lots of exact examples of what I can find here in goog and not with XF search, but I assume those who know that...already know that!

I'm pretty sure if you redirected a new user to a page that had something like:

<blink>Read this before you continue!</blink>​

I wouldn't do it that way!
What I previously used was "announcements", which were above stickies and you could post them once and they showed up in all forums (in my old system).
Those got tens of thousands of views.

My current on forum stickies like :
Start HERE if you are New to Burning / have a draft problem / stove's air is restricted / FAQ about

Have 10's of thousands.

I guess it depends on whether you look at things as:
"Well, if 10,000 fewer people ask dumb questions and 30,000 get their own answers, that's a good thing"
or
"If they can't find it, they are not searching correctly and either don't deserve an answer or should post that question again".

That may sound silly, but it's the truth. As a admin of a busy forum for 18 years, I can say self-serve is my friend. It goes in the order of self-serve, my other members serve....and hopefully I never have to serve (answer).
:D

The search feature only works IF the best keywords are used. Let's say you choose a different set of descriptors and now you don't get results. This becomes frustrating and so experienced users know to just shift keywords. New members don't know which words to use.

Solution
Maybe a drop down suggesting an auto-complete, much like Google uses on their search.

Solution
Maybe a drop down suggesting an auto-complete, much like Google uses on their search.

To suggest that. the system would need to have the algorithms behind it.

Quickie example - if you put "find theads with no answer" in google, they know you meant "threads". As you said, unless you use the best keywords you are not going to find the stuff.

To suggest that. the system would need to have the algorithms behind it.

Quickie example - if you put "find theads with no answer" in google, they know you meant "threads". As you said, unless you use the best keywords you are not going to find the stuff.

Yes. It would be a huge undertaking. Imagine the increased value to the site visitors and members.

The proof is in the pudding.
Goog is one of the largest companies and best brands in the world because they did search better than others...

Many people here are in the 1 or 2% of top knowledgeable internet users. Just having or wanting to install a forum puts you in the top 1/4 or so (a guess!).

I could give lots of exact examples of what I can find here in goog and not with XF search, but I assume those who know that...already know that!

I think it's prity much common sense the search isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. But the simple fact is you search hard enough, for long enough users who give up after the first attempt would eventually find what their looking for if they persisted. Is it a problem? I wouldn't say it's a significant problem for me personally. Is it a problem for people that search and find stuff for others who either gave up, didn't bother? appears not. Does it bother people who probably never really responded to a repetitive query and just want to have a little mini rant? I'd say so.

People who are sick of seeing the same repetitive posts need not read or respond to them, move along to the next thread that gets you all excited... your not obliged to answer them as there are people here who don't mind responding. As stated above, the "issue" however you want to look at it as, will always remain.

That being said, I still Like Biker's thinking.

New potential customer: Is there an add-on available that does...
Biker: *whacks potential customer on nose with newspaper*
Community: *Mass whacks potential customer with a newspaper on nose*
Mike & Brogan: Tag Team formation - *Double whammy attack and clobbers half dead customer on nose*
New potential Customer: *twitches*

Top Bottom