A Good Alternative to Notepad++

Ranger375

Can anyone recommend an alternative that would allow me to highlight code? To my limited knowledge, I don't think I can do this with Notepad++. Thanks!

Atom and Visual Studio Code are both excellent free editors.

Sublime Text is very similar, but does everything 5 times faster using 1/5 memory . Guess that's the reason it costs money.

And there is always Vim. It does everything, 10 times faster and does not cost money. Rumors have it, there is something like Emacs and strange beings claiming it's by far the best text editor in the universe, but so far, nobody has survived the encounter to tell the story :)

@Floyd R Turbo

While I like NP++ very much, some of the larger annoyances are:
  • The once great plugin universe is long gone. Most plugins that exist are either not downloadable anywhere anymore, or won't work with current NP++ versions anymore, or have become sh*t with ads and malware. (In recent versions, even the plugin manager has gone this way (a pre-installed plugin from a third party that made installing/managing other plugins easy for many years. Now it's removed from the core because the donho doesn't like ads in his software)
  • There is no Linux version :( And the code is very Windows-specific, rewriting from scratch might be easier than a port. (With wine, it runs, but it's slow, some problems in the core, pretty much no plugin works, and the whole file handling with Wine is annoying) ((One of my long-term plans "if" I ever find time :D))

(Nonetheless ... I've to use Sublime for work, and while it's not bad, I would never use it at home (at least on Windows). NP++ clearly wins for me)

Last edited:
I guess if I got into php coding, this would matter, right? :p but for me, I run it vanilla so it's great. But I can see what you're saying...thanks

Another vote for Visual Studio Code for me, while the PHP parser isn't as intelligent as PHPStorm (I don't have full autocomplete for XF2 entities), it's miles better than stock Sublime Text or any of the other garbo editors people have listed :P

It's free, it's frequently updated and if it can work well on this £350 piece of shazzbot I bought from Tesco, then it can run on whatever potato you have as well :P

Fillip

Another vote for Visual Studio Code for me, while the PHP parser isn't as intelligent as PHPStorm (I don't have full autocomplete for XF2 entities), it's miles better than stock Sublime Text or any of the other garbo editors people have listed :p

It's free, it's frequently updated and if it can work well on this £350 piece of shazzbot I bought from Tesco, then it can run on whatever potato you have as well :p

Fillip
You shouldn't ever use stock Sublime Text or Atom; the main purpose is to have the ability to extend functionality with packages, and customize it for your own purposes and workflow.

You shouldn't ever use stock Sublime Text or Atom; the main purpose is to have the ability to extend functionality with packages, and customize it for your own purposes and workflow.
But those plugins and packages will never be as good of an experience as an editor that has the functionality built-in (phpStorm) or was built with it in mind (VSCode).

Also, 100% anecdotal but I was not able to get a PHP parser with autocomplete to work. I watched it scan all my files but I still received 0 information.

ST has been reduced to the editor I use when I want to copy the results of a "find in folder" search and make edits to said results (e.g. testing a regexp, or manual copying of data).

Fillip

But those plugins and packages will never be as good of an experience as an editor that has the functionality built-in (phpStorm) or was built with it in mind (VSCode).

Also, 100% anecdotal but I was not able to get a PHP parser with autocomplete to work. I watched it scan all my files but I still received 0 information.

ST has been reduced to the editor I use when I want to copy the results of a "find in folder" search and make edits to said results (e.g. testing a regexp, or manual copying of data).

Fillip

I agree with you. To be honest Sublime is trash. For being a paid editor. If it was free like atom that's one thing.

Phpstorm is the best editor for web development I have ever used and should be the number one choice for a paid IDE. Anyways I agree.

Top Bottom