A few questions

Lilie

I'm starting up a new project, and I'm intending on using my old Xenforo install on it. However, I just have to make sure a few things are possible. This is similar to my previous project but less complicated.
I will list all of the things I need to do, and if it's possible would someone be able to point me in the right direction of how to accomplish these things?
  • Character Accounts. Think of these as sub-accounts. Though, they only need to be editable, be able to post, and need to be able to have the main account edit these posts. The main account should be able to do everything to the character accounts, without you having to log in and out, or switch accounts. There needs to be a drop-down menu above/under the posting area labeled "Post as: [characters]", it would also be nice to have permissions settable so people aren't posting as their characters in the wrong forums.
    They would also have simplified profiles, only with the "about me" section and the ability to find posts by the character.
    Is it possible to get this commissioned as an add-on somehow? ^
  • "Elements" and "Affinities" The story has a mechanic in which a character has an element, and an affinity. Would it be possible for the character account creation process have two drop-downs for each? (they will later appear as icons) they need to not be editable, unless an admin needs to do so. Also, this does not need to be on the user profiles.
  • Customization. I'm not sure if I asked this in the past, but I'm no good at modifying stuff. Is it possible to create a whole new look? (and I pay someone to do it) I was planning on adding some features like a way to customize the user cards with a background and maybe have a "facebook cover"-like banner on the top of user and character profiles, but I needed to know if any of this was possible in the first place.
Thank you for any help!

You will need an add-on for the first two and the third will require hiring a designer.

I have therefore moved your thread to a more appropriate forum.

@Lilie most of what you want is already possible I think and you can get help to add missing bits.

ACCOUNTS ... able to post, and need to be able to have the main account edit these posts. The main account should be able to do everything to the character accounts, without you having to log in and out, or switch accounts.
OK start by learning correct XF names as it'll make it easier to discuss.

Admin = the first user of the XF system when it is set up, most probably you. You can create more admins if you wish.
Admins can do most things on XF, editing others ability to do things through permissions.
There is an XF oddity which is not obvious about moderator abilities. These are things like moderating people's posts. You have to manually make yourself a moderator as well as an admin as the default XF starts off with these separate.

Users are the rest of the members and guests. So admins control what users can do in the admin area called the admincp.
Guests are visitors who are not registered members.

Now there is an addon by waindigo which is very good called Login As User.
Install it, and very important, add the permission to use this ability to your admin account. Or whoever you want to use it. You can also add this to a group, eg moderators.
The admin or whoever can now click a link right at the top Login As User. they can then behave as if they are this user 100%. Return to admin status by clicking the Return to .. link at top.
Very useful to check what a user sees, how their permissions are working, and sort out problems they may create.

You will very likely need a bit of help figuring out giving permissions to your users, It's a powerful system but not simple. XF 1.2 on the way soon will have some great helps.
Meanwhile Brogan's manual (link top of the Home page) has a helpful section.
The basics are to make your Registered accounts Primary and carry almost no permissions! Maybe use Conversations. (otherwise all grey on the permissions list)
This means you can then add permissions to members very sensitively.
For example, make a Basic Member group who can Post, and View Attachments. The reason you don't put these basics on your Registered group is in case you want a group or an individual who cannot post, or view attachments.
Don't add View at the top or you wont be able to control who sees which area.
I also find it useful to think of Key Usergroups. These are my 3-4 groups who have different major abilities - post, attach, create threads, edit own, edit other, delete.
They also have access to view different areas. Access to view is done on the Applications/ Node Tree - click the Permissions box on the node line, and edit each of these Key Usergroups access by ticking them green to view etc.
These are the usergroups I make show up as titles as they are ahierarchy os status in the community eg Elders, Moderators, Members, Newcomers.
Then there are Extra Usergroups which add special extras like using an addon powers, or in my case identifying where a member is located. These are secondary matters not basics.

I'm not sure what your user elements and affinities iare about. You can certainly have many user permissions that don't show on the frontend (public display). Get used to the idea of permissions and tell us what capacities these elements and affinities are about. Then we'll see. I don't think this is a problem though because there are loads of permissions to select.

Customising the design is mostly fun and easy and you don't need to be a programmer to do it. The simplest is putting in your own header logo and changing colours. There's an admin system for that.

The membercard can be edited and several kind people have posted guides on how to do it, notably Shelley who is our queen of design.
You need to get used to templates under Admin/ Appearances. On th e templates page put EXTRA in the search box at top. that gives you your very own safe playground to paste in code snippets Shelley and others give you. It wont hurt your install. If you bog it up, either the system refuses to save it, or if you sont like the result, use Undo/ Ctrl+Z to remove the last thing you did and try agon. See my tutorial in my signature.

For more ambitious designs there are excellent designers here. Many post free designs, some are paid, or you can ask for custom.
Have a look in Resources, top navbar.

@Lilie most of what you want is already possible I think and you can get help to add missing bits.

ACCOUNTS ... able to post, and need to be able to have the main account edit these posts. The main account should be able to do everything to the character accounts, without you having to log in and out, or switch accounts.
OK start by learning correct XF names as it'll make it easier to discuss.

They were using the correct term.. They want a main user account that is able to use secondary accounts which will be for the characters on their (roleplay, I'm guessing) forum. So what they're looking for is something similar to the Account Switch modification that was built on vBulletin.

The Login as User modification will not suit their purposes as it won't restrict one account to a specific set of characters, unless you're also suggesting that each person and their character accounts each have their own usergroup.

@Azhria Lilu much thanks. I am ignorant of roleplay functions, just did my best.

It works in a number of different ways, depending on the type of roleplay that's happening. There's freeform, where people wing it (they write a partial story and other people come in and add to it in the thread) and there's character specific, where a member writes in the voice of specific characters - for the latter, you need accounts setting up for each character, so you can fill in their profiles and post using their name/avatar etc, hence why the OP would need an "overseer" type account for the handler of their characters.

Top Bottom