• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

A few questions

I am another unhappy vb customer that is looking to move.

1. Is this CKEditor? If yes, can we use a different skin for it? Your site looks so sleek, but this editor looks like i's from the 70's. :rolleyes:
  2. I am currently using vBadvance's Dynamics for a downloads section. Is there a Download module for xf? I don't want to use a third part app, it's hard waiting / hoping for updates.
  3. I am also using vBadvance's CMPS for a home page that shows an overview of site activity. Does xf have something like that?
  4. Is it possible to have a right or left column on all pages? If yes:
    1. Is there code / conditionals I can use to show different ads based on the different forum it is being displayed in? My current forum has 4 main sections with subforms for those sections. For each of the main sections I have different advertisers.
Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

James

I am another unhappy vb customer that is looking to move.

1. Is this CKEditor? If yes, can we use a different skin for it? Your site looks so sleek, but this editor looks like i's from the 70's. :rolleyes:
  2. I am currently using vBadvance's Dynamics for a downloads section. Is there a Download module for xf? I don't want to use a third part app, it's hard waiting / hoping for updates.
  3. I am also using vBadvance's CMPS for a home page that shows an overview of site activity. Does xf have something like that?
  4. Is it possible to have a right or left column on all pages? If yes:
    1. Is there code / conditionals I can use to show different ads based on the different forum it is being displayed in? My current forum has 4 main sections with subforms for those sections. For each of the main sections I have different advertisers.
Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions.
1. No, it's Tiny MCE and yes you can customize it.
2. XenForo recently released a Resource Manager which may suit your needs: www.xenforo.com/community/resources
3. There are a few third-party portal add-ons released such as XenPorta and Simple Portal, check the aforementioned Resource Manager.
4. Yes.
4.1. Yes, and an add-on too which works wonders. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/digital-point-ad-positioning.232/

mistypants

Is this CKEditor? If yes, can we use a different skin for it? Your site looks so sleek, but this editor looks like i's from the 70's. :rolleyes:
No, it's TinyMCE.
I am currently using vBadvance's Dynamics for a downloads section. Is there a Download module for xf? I don't want to use a third part app, it's hard waiting / hoping for updates.
The Resource Manager is the only "official" download manager. I'm not familiar with Dynamics, though, so I can't say if it has comparable features. Others can probably expand on that.
I am also using vBadvance's CMPS for a home page that shows an overview of site activity. Does xf have something like that?
Yes, XenPorta should suit your needs: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.90/

edit: ninja'd

Yikes, very fast answers.

Thanks!

I've been going back an forth between here and IPB, mostly because they have the full package, but xf just sings to me. I recently bought a high-end road bike (bicycle), and when deciding between the two of them, I really did buy the one that talked to me.

Thanks again.

Morgain

Just to add to James' excellent list XenPorta is the more complex version and it has various additions.
The other two are cool clean newcomers, both by very good developers.

I signed up for a demo, it's looking pretty nice.

For the resources manager, I will only have free downloads. Is there a way to turn off the Any, Paid, All tabs on the right?
I will usually not have a version for the documents that I make available for download, can that be turned off?
Also for my documents, there is usually a date associated with the (I guess in lieu of a version) and that's how I'd like them sorted, I don't see anywhere to add a date, is that possible?

Thanks

Morgain

You can easily comment out the tabs on the right <xen:comment> </xen:comment>
I did that - but there may be a better way.

Versioning - am waiting to hear.
The date is the date first released/ published.
See my RM Articles as one possibility but I know someone else Luxus I think has done another edit for Articles.

CFodder

I signed up for a demo, it's looking pretty nice.

For the resources manager, I will only have free downloads. Is there a way to turn off the Any, Paid, All tabs on the right?
Yes there's an option in the admin panel under Resource Manager options to do this - "Show Resource Price Filter Tabs" - untick it.

I will usually not have a version for the documents that I make available for download, can that be turned off?
As far as I'm aware you have to have a version number.

Also for my documents, there is usually a date associated with the (I guess in lieu of a version) and that's how I'd like them sorted, I don't see anywhere to add a date, is that possible?
Morgain answered this :).

Morgain

Versioning: It occurs to me it would not be a difficult template edit to make the Version field a default entry of 1.0
Then it would only need attention if someone was adding an upgrade.