A few questions.

Cluster

Just a few questions before I decided on which forums software I decide to buy.

I have two primary sites that are on the same resellers account these are my sites do I have to buy two copies per domain?

Also does XenForo allow for RSS posting, basically importing from RSS Feeds from other web sites and creating a post? (hope I explained that right) that can go back to either the last xxx days?

Is there a modification to allow XenForo to import from the usenet? I know a majority do not like this but I remember many years ago someone at vBulletin did this, however that was vBulletin.

Finally. Is there easy integration with facebook, twitter, google+ that will allow people to sign in using their accounts. I've had some trouble with recaptcha on MyBB.

I have tried the free forums software like MyBB, phpBB, and FudForum all of them lacked something that I wanted, however, its been almost 8 years since I last ran a forums based web site and me, two friends are getting back into it seeing the cost of the software before I spend money I want to make sure the software meets what I want in most areas.

My friend did some research apparently. He told me that XenForo only imports 5 items from RSS Feeds at a time, is there a way that it can import more than that? Our site will be pulling a lot of news from many RSS feeds, our hope is that we can go back to a certain date. Like I said its been 8 years since I have used any forums software.

With regards to the RSS, yes, XenForo has a Registered Feeds system.

This can automatically create threads from RSS feeds. There is no limit as to how many items it imports at a time. You can change the frequency of the pulling of each feed from 10 minutes to 12 hours.

The license agreement states that you must only use one installation per license. You can have another installation for testing and development but it must not be publicly available. Therefore, in your case, you would need two licenses.

I have not seen a Usenet add-on at XenForo, but you could request one or employ a developer to make one.

Yes there is easy integration to Facebook, Google and Twitter. Facebook is built in. Google and Twitter (and Steam as in the gaming distribution platform) are all available via an add-on.

I would highly recommend checking out the demo:

http://xenforo.com/demo/

This will allow you to test out things such as the Registered Feeds, etc.

My friend did some research apparently. He told me that XenForo only imports 5 items from RSS Feeds at a time, is there a way that it can import more than that? Our site will be pulling a lot of news from many RSS feeds, our hope is that we can go back to a certain date. Like I said its been 8 years since I have used any forums software.

It imports 5 items at a time every time it checks the feed which happens at regular intervals. If a feed contains more than 5 items then it will import them all in batches of 5 over a period of time. 5 is not a limit. It's just a batch size.

RSS feeds don't normally go back in time very far. You can only import items that are currently being served by the feed.

Okay that answers all my questions I have so far I think I've done as much research as I possibly can. vBulletin is beyond my budget I remember it being $75 at one time not $500 for what I do I have to work in a budget at least in the first year. So far XenForo has really caught my eye with its design overall it looks professional and not complicated, I enjoyed the demo I was able to test everything that I needed. In all honesty I don't need the usenet gateway, it would be nice but its not something that is a requirement for now.

The license is for yearly and includes all updates that come out? If that's a yes then I think my decision is made and we can get started here.

Top Bottom