Implemented a dark theme option

dieketzer

it would be great if by default a dark theme shipped with xenforo.
sure, many people will say 'just use the style editor', and i have. but there are issues that i have encountered that have made this such an annoying task; gradients that look terrible on a dark theme hidden everywhere, shadow css that is difficult to find and looks terrible on a dark theme, classes like '@darker' that actually mean 'lighter' on a dark theme, and so on.
it sure would be great to have a dark default to base further dark styles on.

Upvote 116
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's also not difficult to modify the default XF theme for dark mode. I get it if someone is not comfortable working around the XF style properties and template system, though. I did it on one of my sites and it really didn't take me much time at all. It took me more time to customize the default theme with some unique graphics that tied in with the site's topic.

But normally I go with a third party theme and those often will offer a dark mode theme. I just don't want our site looking like every other XF site out there--not that the default theme is bad, but too many sites use it and I need to have a unique look for each site.

The only thing I haven't done is found a way to automatically switch between light and dark mode depending on the device settings, but it's not a deal breaker. Most I know who choose the alternate themes don't want them to change.

It's also not difficult to modify the default XF theme for dark mode. I get it if someone is not comfortable working around the XF style properties and template system, though. I did it on one of my sites and it really didn't take me much time at all. It took me more time to customize the default theme with some unique graphics that tied in with the site's topic.

But normally I go with a third party theme and those often will offer a dark mode theme. I just don't want our site looking like every other XF site out there--not that the default theme is bad, but too many sites use it and I need to have a unique look for each site.

The only thing I haven't done is found a way to automatically switch between light and dark mode depending on the device settings, but it's not a deal breaker. Most I know who choose the alternate themes don't want them to change.
The majority of my members do not want dark mode. But some people do and it's during parts of the day when it's dark. It's easier on the eyes. That's the whole point of using a dark mode theme.

I try to keep a handful of color choices for visitors. In the past, the white/bright forums with dark text were more readable but as my eyesight has gotten worse, I now find that dark mode in the OS and any site with a dark theme is what I need to avoid a headache from eyestrain. So for sites I'm in charge of, I'll offer the typical white/light theme, a dark theme, and one or two muted themes that go right down the middle between light and dark. Changing the color palette and other color choices on a new child theme is the way to go.

Top Bottom