• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8WayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal & Lite Wiki)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really like an articles system to go along with this, it's just a little to basic for my requirements at the moment.

Also need a latest posts block too.

I really like the way it's so easy to create static content pages though, would be nice if they could be commented on perhaps, as a per page option.

Okay... I think you guys are gonna like what I've been putting together today... WIKI-LIKE TEMPLATES!

Example: http://xen1.8wayrun.com/portal/cassandra/
You'll notice the table on the right hand side... This was put together using a [template] bbcode!
Code:
[template=charBig]
| name = Cassandra Alexandra
| debut = Soulcalibur II
| voiceE = Debra Jean Rogers
| voiceJ = Reiko Takagi
| age = 21
| bplace = Athens, Ottoman Empire
| bdate = July 20, 1570
| blood = B
| height = 5' 5" (165 cm)
| weight = Insists she's lost weight recently
| family = Father / Achelous
| type = Short Sword & Small Shield
| weapon = Digamma Sword & Nemea Shield (Reforged)
| style = Athenian Style
[/template]

You want a better example? http://xen1.8wayrun.com/portal/cassandra-soulcalibur-iv-frame-data
Every single row of these tables is a template callup.
Code:
[template=h2]header = Horizontal Attacks[/template]
[template=framesHEAD][/template]
[template=framesROW] atk=Slide Flow | cmd=:A: | lvl=:H: | dmg=12 | imp=13 | grd=-8 | hit=-2 | cnt=0 | scr=(?) | nts=:G: cancel[/template]
[template=framesROW] atk=Slide Flow | cmd=:A::A: | lvl=:H::H: | dmg=30 | imp=13 | grd=-4 | hit=+6 | cnt=+6 | scr=(?) | nts=NC[/template]
[template=framesROW] atk=Slide Knee | cmd=:A::K: | lvl=:H::M: | dmg=34 | imp=13 | grd=-16 | hit=-1 | cnt=-1 | scr=(?) | nts=NC/DL possible[/template]
[template=framesROW] atk=Shield Slaps | cmd=:6::A: | lvl=:H: | dmg=12 | imp=14 | grd=-8 | hit=+2 | cnt=+2 | scr=(?) | nts=[/template]
[template=framesFOOT][/template]

You may have noticed how QUICKLY these pages loaded compared to the VB4 version (based on VaultWiki). If you scroll down to the bottom, and look at the last edit time you will see that it may say "(Cached)"... thats because I've also built in a caching system! The problem I had with VaultWiki is that some of my pages are obscenely long; and it had to write out the pages on every load. With this system I put together, when a page is loaded, it will compare the last edit time of the page to the last cached time... if the last edit time is newer, it will write out the page and update the cache... if the last edit time is older, it will simply pull in the cached page and save tons of server resources.

Okay... I think you guys are gonna like what I've been putting together today... WIKI-LIKE TEMPLATES!

Example: http://xen1.8wayrun.com/portal/cassandra/
You'll notice the table on the right hand side... This was put together using a [template] bbcode!
Code:
[template=charBig]
| name = Cassandra Alexandra
| debut = Soulcalibur II
| voiceE = Debra Jean Rogers
| voiceJ = Reiko Takagi
| age = 21
| bplace = Athens, Ottoman Empire
| bdate = July 20, 1570
| blood = B
| height = 5' 5" (165 cm)
| weight = Insists she's lost weight recently
| family = Father / Achelous
| type = Short Sword & Small Shield
| weapon = Digamma Sword & Nemea Shield (Reforged)
| style = Athenian Style
[/template]

You want a better example? http://xen1.8wayrun.com/portal/cassandra-soulcalibur-iv-frame-data
Every single row of these tables is a template callup.
Code:
[template=h2]header = Horizontal Attacks[/template]
[template=framesHEAD][/template]
[template=framesROW] atk=Slide Flow | cmd=:A: | lvl=:H: | dmg=12 | imp=13 | grd=-8 | hit=-2 | cnt=0 | scr=(?) | nts=:G: cancel[/template]
[template=framesROW] atk=Slide Flow | cmd=:A::A: | lvl=:H::H: | dmg=30 | imp=13 | grd=-4 | hit=+6 | cnt=+6 | scr=(?) | nts=NC[/template]
[template=framesROW] atk=Slide Knee | cmd=:A::K: | lvl=:H::M: | dmg=34 | imp=13 | grd=-16 | hit=-1 | cnt=-1 | scr=(?) | nts=NC/DL possible[/template]
[template=framesROW] atk=Shield Slaps | cmd=:6::A: | lvl=:H: | dmg=12 | imp=14 | grd=-8 | hit=+2 | cnt=+2 | scr=(?) | nts=[/template]
[template=framesFOOT][/template]

You may have noticed how QUICKLY these pages loaded compared to the VB4 version (based on VaultWiki). If you scroll down to the bottom, and look at the last edit time you will see that it may say "(Cached)"... thats because I've also built in a caching system! The problem I had with VaultWiki is that some of my pages are obscenely long; and it had to write out the pages on every load. With this system I put together, when a page is loaded, it will compare the last edit time of the page to the last cached time... if the last edit time is newer, it will write out the page and update the cache... if the last edit time is older, it will simply pull in the cached page and save tons of server resources.

When will that be released? ;)

Thanks for the awesome mod :)

- Will it be possible to allow members to edit the "wiki" and be able to revert to older versions?

- Can the portal be installed on a different subdomain?
e.g.
Portal on domain.com
Forum on forum.domain.com

I hope this is not a stupid question.

Would I be able to promote the thread to an article with this?
Technically this is possible... this isn't an article mod, but it displays threads like articles. If you want to promote a thread to an article... just move the thread to the article forum... instantly on the front page.

Why is it called Splash Portal anyway ? How does a Splash Portal differ from a Portal ?
With the Wiki-like templates is Portal the right word at all ?
Alot of people want a way to put content on the "Home" area - would XenPorta (or whatever it should be called) be able to do this ?

Idea for atttracting people to this thread
xenPorta.Jaxel.links.webp

Thanks for this awesome mod. I feel that this has greater potential if

1) Integrate it with the "Number of Likes"
2) Put an option to show top 10/20 most liked threads (not posts) in the past 24 hrs

This is something that many forums currently have (eg. slickdeals) although I am not sure if they explicitly select the frontpage deals or if it is the posts with most likes

Thanks for this awesome mod. I feel that this has greater potential if

1) Integrate it with the "Number of Likes"
2) Put an option to show top 10/20 most liked threads (not posts) in the past 24 hrs

This is something that many forums currently have (eg. slickdeals) although I am not sure if they explicitly select the frontpage deals or if it is the posts with most likes

I second this! :-)

I'd really like an articles system to go along with this, it's just a little to basic for my requirements at the moment.

Agreed - this would allow a multitude of stuff - Tutorials/reviews/articles all to be allowed by this :) Deffo seconded :)

Why is it called Splash Portal anyway ? How does a Splash Portal differ from a Portal ?

Alot of people want a way to put content on the "Home" area - would XenPorta (or whatever it should be called) be able to do this ?
A "splash" page is the page people jump into when they come to your site... This is ideally what I would like this to be, but unfortunately thats one of the few things I still can't figure out. Right now "/" goes to the forums, and "/portal" goes to the portal. I would like to make it so that "/forums" goes to the forums, and "/" goes to portal; but right now it looks like XenForo just cant do that yet.

I guess that would entail writing a "LIKE Thread" mod first.
The like thread mod already exists... I just need to make it so that you can like the first post through the portal.

Agreed - this would allow a multitude of stuff - Tutorials/reviews/articles all to be allowed by this :) Deffo seconded :)
This technically can do that. You can assign "parents" in the CMS. So you just need to make a page for "tutorials", "reviews", and "articles"... Then when you make another page, assign it to one of those parent pages. The parent pages will automatically list all the children.

What I am wanting it an identical post and article. When a comment is made or a follow up post is made i would like it to appear in both places.

Would that be doable eventually with this?

Does this help ?

Now you can select any page to replace your forum index page. The oldie index page will be "moved" to /forums/

INSTALLATION
  1. Upload the library directory into your XenForo's
  2. Import the addon
  3. Create a pages and configure it in Home > Options > Basic Board Information. It's at the bottom of the page
Not really useful but... it's here :D

Q: Would this ever be able to run under the Home Tab ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom