1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

503 error for a new site

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Markos, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

I have a new site, and i see a 503 error.

It's strange because it has no traffic. I can navigate into this site but when i try to crawl it with Screaming Frog, i see a 503 error. How it's possible? How can i resolve this issue?

2. Jake B.

Jake B. Well-Known Member

503 error doesn't necessarily have anything to do with traffic. It could be caused by anything really. Check your apache error log and see if anything shows up.

3. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

I use Nginx (Centmin).

4. Jake B.

Jake B. Well-Known Member

Check your Nginx error log for anything that stands out then

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Member

A lot of webservers have protective configurations to prevent them from being overloaded. When a crawling tool gets 503s, it's often a sign that either the rate of the crawl is too fast, or the number of simultaneous connections is too high. Check the tool for these settings and if they are high, reduce them to a level that does not generate any more errors.

http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/faq/#why_do_i_get_503_server_unavailable

6. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

And if I remember correctly, CentMinMod had that enabled to try to do some base DDOS protection.

7. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Try to comment out "block.conf".

8. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

You can post part of your nginx error.log file here. It is usually located at /var/log/nginx/error.log

You could enter this command on linux bash:
    Code:
    # cat /var/log/nginx/error.log