403 Access Denied nginx - not the Xenforo(You must log in or sign up to post here.)

Glockie

Hello all,
After having some issues setting up SSL on the site, I finally thought it was resolved.
I have a thread regarding forcing SSL but this is a separate issue I think so I think I should write a different thread.
Since sorting the issues we initially had, I have another issue and I was wondering if you knew what this is and if so how to fix it,
Instead of getting pages 'You must be logged in to do that' - we're now getting
403 Access Denied
nginx

This is for links to threads which you must be logged in to view, but instead of throwing the default Xenforo page of (You must log in or sign up to post here.) with our theme and so on etc.. it shows this error page.
Sorry to ask, but does anyone know the remedy for this?
:-/

EDIT:
I've seen tonnes of errors in the logs.
I think this is a permissions error?

Last edited:
I'm happy to say that once again @MattW has fixed this for us..
It was the Nginx config include;
include /usr/local/nginx/conf/errorpage.conf;
Luckily I didn't tamper with the our-site.com.conf as I thought it was in there.... :P

Thank you again George!
Regards

I have this issue - how did you solve it please?
More detail needed.
In @Glockie's case, it appears that he is either using CentMin Mod on a CentOS server, or the nginx setup is very similar to what @eva2000 does with his normal CentMin Mod install/config setup for nginx.
I imagine it was probably just commenting out that line from the vhost definition - I haven't looked at the file to see what all it contains as it could have been just commenting out a rule in it also.

I don't have that reference - I guess what's in that file may provide a clue.
I tried removing the custom 403 temporarily, but that didn't solve it.

I don't have that reference - I guess what's in that file may provide a clue.
I tried removing the custom 403 temporarily, but that didn't solve it.
Well, a lot will depend on if you did a Cut&Paste job from what you found on the internet (which most are not really good ones). Also, are you using centOS or Debian (they set it up differently in both family trees when installed).

I was convinced I didn't have a custom 403 set... and was curious as to what was in that conf file.

But yeah, it was as simple as you'd expect... there was a default server config being loaded before the hosts config, so it was being done there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom