1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 30 Characters Error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by The Sandman, Nov 19, 2014.

1. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

I'm getting occasional reports from people who say they try to register and get an error which says "Please enter a value using 30 characters or fewer" for their username. They say that they are using a username that is 30 characters or fewer. Assuming they're correct any idea what might cause this?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Do you have any add-ons installed which may interact with registration, users, or anything related?

Disabling those would be the first step to try and determine what is causing it.

3. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

The username field is being limited to 16 characters on your board @The Sandman

upload_2014-11-19_14-42-0.png

I can't see anything that would then error saying it needs to be 30 characters or less.

4. The Sandman

So it's not something built into the core?

OK - maybe one of the TAC anti-spam add-ons?

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

User name length is, yes.

upload_2014-11-19_14-52-30.png

Your initial post made it sound as if you had already checked that and it was happening intermittently.

6. The Sandman

It's very intermittent - I think today is the 4th time I've gotten the notification. I did a quick Google search on it and did find a couple of other XF forums where a similar thing was discussed on the boards. No cause was mentioned though.

7. The Sandman

Yet usernames shorter than 16 characters are triggering the error, which mentions 30 characters. I think Brogan's right - this does not sound like core XF behavior.