200 Characters for Rating a Resource?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought, all the debate over this most of you could have done a few reviews with just the text posted here over this issue :D

My point was that if you can write more than 200 characters in posts, it's no in different in reviews. In fact, @Mike and @Chris D provided excellent examples in earlier posts of theirs here.
They tried to make an example for mid/complicated add-ons. There are very few add-ons like this in the resource manager. Most add-ons do only one function.

They tried to make an example for mid/complicated add-ons. There are very few add-ons like this in the resource manager. Most add-ons do only one function.

200-character reviews can be typed even for the smallest of add-ons. It's not that difficult.

200-character reviews can be typed even for the smallest of add-ons. It's not that difficult.
It's difficult when the same limit is applied to graphics, translations, template modifications and such things o
you can't say too much except "excellent work!"

It's difficult when the same limit is applied to graphics, translations, template modifications and such things o

Excellent graphics! I really like how you designed them to go with basically any style and not just a particular style. My only suggestion is that you fix the edges because they look a bit cut off. Other than that, though, I'm happy with the graphics.

251 characters.

Last edited:

There's a lot you can say. Once you learn the technique "Talking the hind legs off a donkey" you'll find it easy and natural to complete a 200 character review, even as much as 500 characters.

You didn't quote his second quote, which was showing you a 250+ review for a graphic, as you stated was hard to do. He even quoted that as well.
Great, so here you have a basic rule if you want to rate a graphic and don't know how to reach the 250 characters (please everybody take note of this):
1) Write this phrase: "Excellent graphics! I really like how you designed them to go with basically any style and not just a particular style. "
2) Try to repeat the previous phrase with other words. Try to think on 5 different combinations if you want to rate 5 different graphics.
3) If you want to rate a translation you can say it was basically designed to install on any XenForo installation and not a particular site (and of course change the word Graphics by "translation to a foreign language" in order to use more characters.

Oh well.

Best of luck on your crusade to lower the number.

I hope it stays myself. Either way, I'm done in this thread. I'll continue to rate and review as normal, and hopefully provide others with useful information to aide their decision making. Three word replies never interested, nor helped me.

Again, best of luck banging the drum.

Last edited:
Translation:
{Author} does a great job with this translation. They didn't miss any phrases and even included phrases for {addon}. I don't actually speak this language so them making it really helped me out and my user base said it was accurately done.
I didn't repeat myself and my review makes sense. The point is, this is easy. If you can't write 200 characters supporting your star rating than your review is probably crap anyways and you may as well keep it to yourself.

Graphic:
There is absolutely nothing redundant about Amaury's example. He gave a great example of how you can make relevant comments regarding a graphic and include a suggestion.

I thought 200 was fine until I wrote one out for a simple add-on, found myself padding and repeating myself while waiting for the submit button to appear, gave up as it looked forced.

My reviews are always short and to the point, some just a thank you. I'm not fussed either way but do like to say thanks for something free that may have taken days or hours to produce.

Brogans template modification for logins for example what would you write?

We've turned thanks into hey here is 200 characters of bs that's not at all informative or helpful. When in that case we want to rate bad or good not a review. So we say hey don't bother reviewing. Which is of course why some categories might do with a difference. Obviously any addon with functions is much easier to talk about versus hey thanks for making it so easy to add this icon we can't live without it blah blah blah.

I bs's my way through a review today and still found myself 3 characters short. Either I use bigger words or add phrases like "and stuff".

Resource: Extended Smiley pack

Review: First of all, Thanks <author> for another update and for providing a wide range of smilies that compliment the default xenforo smiley pack. As with previous updates, the smilies remain consistent and the new additions to the new update look great and will suit any marvel related sites and the new super hero update really does extend on this exceptional pack.

Rated: 5 stars

.......................................................................................

Resource: Extended Smiley Pack

Review: I like the smiley pack but I find without the spritesheet included, or the SQL file even an XML file that I would like to import, it's taking me a long time to add all these smilies. I'd give this resource a more positive review but without the Spritesheet anyone installing this resource for the first time will endure spending some time adding them all. I'll re-visit my review once the resources to make life a little easier are uploaded and I'll give this a more positive review.

Rated: 1 star

Verdict: Not very difficult.

Last edited:
Apart from personal opinions, if there is a 10 page (still counting) thread discussion going on, then chances are high that something is wrong. It's very easy to notice that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom