Lack of interest 2.0 namespaces

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Jake B.

Moreso just curious whether or not xf2.0 will make use of namespaces. They've been available since PHP 5.3, which just reached EOL back in August, and even PHP 5.4 will be reaching EOL in March iirc, and I'm fairly certain that most shared hosting providers are running at least 5.3 (I've run into a single instance where a forum was on 5.2.x). There really is no reason for anyone to be using under 5.4.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yes, and that's the scary thing. If they can't figure out how to obtain the later versions - how do they know how to secure their server or keep it so it's not another hacker haven.

If the host's customers start requesting more recent versions, they'll have to start using more recent versions, or else they'll find another host.

XF now has nearly a 3rd of the commercial forum marketshare, hopefully it'll be over a 3rd by the time 2.0 is out.

Over 85% of detected migrations are from either IPB or vB to XF. That a huge amount and will correlate to how fast their market share increases.

upload_2015-1-1_20-11-44.webp

If XF has enough momentum then by putting it's requirements up, XF's customers and forum admins will be one of the catalysts accelerating the adoption of more recent versions of PHP and other dependencies, forcing hosts up upgrade.

It shouldn't be the hosts and their current slow adoption rate causing the devs of cutting edge software to tone it back a bit and slow down their plans. If some people want to stick with older versions they can install a 1.x branch.

I guess like Chris said though

if there is reasonable justification to increase the requirements, then we will. If we need to do something in the code that pushes XF forward, that we can't do in PHP 5.3, then it will be considered.

That's all we can ask for. Just don't hold back :D

The thing is, 5.4 wasn't a huge jump. It's improvements but there isn't enough to want to alienate the people stuck on 5.3. Sure, saving keystrokes is nice. I wouldn't mind it. But the only thing I can see really forcing it to happen is if they decide to use traits. Everything else is really convenience.