100 % design customization possible ?

rvnorth

Hi,

I am very interested in getting Xenforo now when it is integrated with Digital Access Pass membership software.
I am creating a new site and have just started to contact designers to design it.
I also wish the forum to be designed by them, is this possible or is there any limitations ?

I think I saw skins available for the forum, is it allowed to use those as a starting point if it would suit me ?

Is it possible to remove certain things a forum member can use; could I remove the possibility to post pictures, videos, polls etc ?

1. You can change pretty much anything in styles, but keep in mind that the more you change the harder it will be to update your style.

2. Styles are not responsible for functionality. To add/remove functionality you need add-ons.

@Mikael Jaderberg - style changes are excellently supported and there are systems to make it pretty easy to carry them into an upgrade. The next stage 1.2 will be especially good for that, or there is an addon called TMS.
There is a special template css where you can put custom css This is not affected by upgrades.

You can remove members ability to post polls, or attach/ upload.
You'd need an addon to fine tune this specifically for pictures, videos, but it wouldn't be a big addon. Addon devs here are v good.

Sounds great.

But is it true that the big chunky Xenforo logo up on the left side header can only be removed by paying $250 ?

That kind of raises the price a lot.
I see the price as $390 now if this is true and I am used to get logos removed when paying for a product. Hmm...

Sounds great.

But is it true that the big chunky Xenforo logo up on the left side header can only be removed by paying $250 ?

That kind of raises the price a lot.
I see the price as $390 now if this is true and I am used to get logos removed when paying for a product. Hmm...
You only need to pay 250$ if you want to remove this line:
Снимок экрана 2013-06-06 в 15.24.22.webp

Style system in xenforo is great, the best and easier to work with over the other products imo yet powerful to make some great enhancements. Style properties are great for making customizations (this is never overwritten during xenforo updates) so your edits are safe. EXTRA.CSS is a template you can use if you wish to be more specific with your customizations (CSS only) and this acts like Style Properties, the template is never overwritten during a xenforo update so your edits are safe.

For html edits the TMS add-on is a nice easy add-on to consolidate your edits I suggest you try this one out, it'll make things easier to manage although personally any edits i make I'll manually make them within the templates.

I'd advise you checkout some the styles sites who deal with customization and this will show you and give you a great indication on how customizable xenforo is, which is very customizable. :)

- Xenique.com
- razorthemes.com
- pixelexit.com
- audentio.com

Some stylers you should check out (don't know there sites domains)

- CyberAp
- Miner
- Arty

There's a few others but those are the ones I can remember from the top of my head and there quality of work is good so again this will give you some insight how good xenforo is with regards to customization.

Hi,

I am very interested in getting Xenforo now when it is integrated with Digital Access Pass membership software.
I am creating a new site and have just started to contact designers to design it.
I also wish the forum to be designed by them, is this possible or is there any limitations ?

I think I saw skins available for the forum, is it allowed to use those as a starting point if it would suit me ?

Is it possible to remove certain things a forum member can use; could I remove the possibility to post pictures, videos, polls etc ?

So DAP now has a Xenforo bridge?

Thanks for all the answers, really helpful.
Shelley, yes, I will look for those style sites...thanks.

A little late answer but yes, it seems like there is a bridge for DAP+Xenforo:

http://www.digitalaccesspass.com/doc/forum-integration/

My concern now is Xenforo´s social functions like being able to connect with facebook etc and leaking material
from the membership forum
into facebook and other places. I dont really want to hire a programmer to limit Xenforo
as a solution to this. Is there a simpler way ?

Xenforo looks really great in many ways but I might have to use MyBB or bbpress or some of the other alternatives
found in the link I posted above. I am not interested in vBulletin, seems overcomplicated while Xenforo looks simplified...

Would it be possible to use Xenforo 100% without membership software ?
(right now I have decided for DAP + Xenforo+Wordpress)

What I need:
The membership I am creating needs it ´s own unique design (this I understood is 100% modifiable).

I need to post soundcloud files in it which stream from soundcloud.com (only available for members).
There will be thousands of files eventually so I need to create an archive section for this.
I guess this is a simple thing to do because of the embedd codes soundcloud has.

A forum to set up different discussion subjects

Send out mass emails to all members

A ticket like system for paid members (support, faq etc).

Right now we take a yearly payment via wire transfer mainly (another membership site)
and think we will continue with this for awhile till we get enough members.

How do I explain for a designer the design athmosphere in Xenforo who is used to wordpress ?
How difficult / different is it to design a Xenforo site compared to Wordpress from scratch ?
Would the WP designer adapt easily ?

My hosting provider uploaded the test script for Xenforo and it was working fine :)
Was there something else that I needed to check ?

Is it possible to make Xenforo pages look just like a regular homepage ?
This is possible with Wordpress

How "heavy" is Xenforo for a hosting account ?
I mean, having DAP membership software + Xenforo might be alot ?

A lot of questions I know... :unsure:

2. No information is shared to social networks unless specifically done so by users (liking / sharing). You can also turn off social integrations.
3. Yes, you don't need membership software. The only 'ticket' system would be private threads only the starter + specific groups
4. I'm no designer, but I believe they can adapt.
5. No.
6. I'm not sure what you are asking?
7. The software isn't server intensive. You can find plenty of threads on here about the drop in server usage once XenForo was installed.

Thanks for all the answers, really helpful.
Shelley, yes, I will look for those style sites...thanks.

A little late answer but yes, it seems like there is a bridge for DAP+Xenforo:

http://www.digitalaccesspass.com/doc/forum-integration/

My concern now is Xenforo´s social functions like being able to connect with facebook etc and leaking material
from the membership forum
into facebook and other places. I dont really want to hire a programmer to limit Xenforo
as a solution to this. Is there a simpler way ?

Xenforo looks really great in many ways but I might have to use MyBB or bbpress or some of the other alternatives
found in the link I posted above. I am not interested in vBulletin, seems overcomplicated while Xenforo looks simplified...

Would it be possible to use Xenforo 100% without membership software ?
(right now I have decided for DAP + Xenforo+Wordpress)

What I need:
The membership I am creating needs it ´s own unique design (this I understood is 100% modifiable).

I need to post soundcloud files in it which stream from soundcloud.com (only available for members).
There will be thousands of files eventually so I need to create an archive section for this.
I guess this is a simple thing to do because of the embedd codes soundcloud has.

A forum to set up different discussion subjects

Send out mass emails to all members

A ticket like system for paid members (support, faq etc).

Right now we take a yearly payment via wire transfer mainly (another membership site)
and think we will continue with this for awhile till we get enough members.

How do I explain for a designer the design athmosphere in Xenforo who is used to wordpress ?
How difficult / different is it to design a Xenforo site compared to Wordpress from scratch ?
Would the WP designer adapt easily ?

My hosting provider uploaded the test script for Xenforo and it was working fine :)
Was there something else that I needed to check ?

Is it possible to make Xenforo pages look just like a regular homepage ?
This is possible with Wordpress

How "heavy" is Xenforo for a hosting account ?
I mean, having DAP membership software + Xenforo might be alot ?

A lot of questions I know... :unsure:

4. I would expect any designer fluent with wordpress to adapt very easy to xenforo and be able to style it. If they know html/css then they will feel right at home with the xenforo styling system and i'm guessing they will have that experience if they're fluent with WP.

4 - the most efficient way to go about this is to override the css without actually modifying the underlying html. I say this because, if you edit the underlying html (or template), you'll have to redo the work everytime the forum upgrades.

How well your designer can do this is entirely up to their css skill. Being familiar with Xenforo will definitely make the job easier.

I removed lots of Xenforo header and move/edit/modify the menu quite a lot to have it match the rest of my site. And I must say it's not fun at all when upgrading Xenforo
http://ononeanimation.com/board/

I think he means that if the templates are marked as outdated, due to them being updated in the latest release, he will need to revert them and reapply his customisations.

Well, I'm guessing that's what he means.

I am a bit afraid of future complications (updates, conflicts etc) but Xenforo seems awesome and I am now considering excluding membership software DAP and Wordpress to make everything simpler. I saw that there was a plugin to make a Xenforo homepage that is not the forum. I have also seen that there is just page options where I can just exclude the forum and build a page just like in wordpress. I need to go and read a lot of more sections in here to learn more, thanks for ALL the great inputs (y)

Maybe there is a Xenforo vs WP thread in here, will search for it, very interesting.

That 1.2 version seems to be a simplifier even if I dont understand it completely, wonder how far off before release ?

Top Bottom