🙄 but 🦆🦆🦆

Said ducks chillaxing after dinner.

20220620_180631.webp

Going back to the subject a bit, @Brogan trying to get away from it with these ducks 🤨, I find the silence of the team weighing, a little bit of communication would be good, its absence causes rumors and hearsay. I was planning to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in XenForo but I no longer dare... Especially since a new forum platform seems to be doing well and I could turn to it, I lost its name: Vay Boulletin I believe.

As more and more people sell out to the corporate conglomerates, we get less and less members helping members. I don't think anyone from corporate posts here, regardless of company.

So many good sites with active teams have been sold over the years. And with it, the dudes of the 'first generation of forums' are all beaching it or living a more normal 9-5 type life these days.

The new crowd is lacking to say the least. But that's just the way it is with forums: less interest in it as a platform. video is the platform of choice of the new generation. There's 10000s of youtubers and tiktokers and older viners, etc etc popping up overnight, narrating their boring life, stupid hobby, tricks or antics, or being hoes for the sake of getting attention/clicks for their stupid hobby, and all the eyes end up over there instead of on intelligent conversation and people helping each other.

And, i'm guilty too.

I watch more youtube that i do participate on forums these days.
Cabin builds, van lifers, off grid people, guitar demos, etc etc etc

We have already talked a lot about it, but are forums really doomed to disappear?
Can we imagine an Internet without a forum in 10 or 20 years?
It's possible, and those who have made it their business are already thinking about the next day, but should we blame them?

The concern is that for those who want to create a community on one subject or another, they have to go through platforms such as YT, Snap, TikTok, FB or Discord and there is no tool could be entirely the owner, aside from the forums. This brings me back to my position that the forums should remain forums and not scatter with off-road features, but maybe that's not the case and the forums need to undergo a profound transformation, even if it means changing their name. one day...

Cabin builds, van lifers, off grid people, guitar demos, etc etc etc
So satisfying to watch!

The Major advantage all these platforms have is universal registration to 1 platform.

our boards are our own property. We are not 'on' the xf platform, ala per the youtube platform.

tapatalk tried something like this for mobile, and it could have been good but they ruined it.

We are all fighting each other for limited traffic.
No one is working together.
I'm also not sure that we should.

But, that's why reddit and the likes that create literally endless /topics are successful.
it's why facebook and youtube are successful. it's one place for everything relating to video or friends.

I don't have answers, but i see videos in my niche popup all the time on my tv as i browse youtube at night, and hours-old videos are getting 1000s of hits in a niche i consider to be mostly dead. I should know, i'm in it for 20+ years and the mid 2000s hay-day is long over. I do in a month what i used to do in a day nowadays.

If only those people posted in my forum so i could profit on their work instead of making nearly-pro level videos of their builds so they could profit on it....

It's an absurd use case when you think about it from the content creator perspective.

We are greedy.
we can't compete. Text loses every time.

If a picture says 1000 words, a video says 10000000.

I find the silence of the team weighing, a little bit of communication would be good, its absence causes rumors and hearsay

I'd agree with this as well. While I'm sure it's because he's busy working behind the scenes, it's been nearly a year since we've seen any posts from @Mike, who used to post on an almost daily basis. Just seems a bit odd to go from being super active to absolutely nothing for almost a year.

That said, as it stands XF is still the best option out there so I'll continue to do what I'm going to do and hope that all is well and moving forward. It's beyond my control anyways, so no point in worrying about it, at least for me. If something goes haywire, I'll adjust and figure out what comes next for me at that time.

we can't compete. Text loses every time.
It's true but the comments under the videos are text. So sooner or later, whatever the media used, we end up writing something, more or less interesting, of course, but it ends up as text all the same. Maybe that's our glimmer of hope.

If only those people posted in my forum so i could profit on their work instead of making nearly-pro level videos of their builds so they could profit on it....

It's an absurd use case when you think about it from the content creator perspective.

We are greedy.

Reflecting on this a bit more--

I've spent a lot of time focusing on attracting people to the site to learn (eg, people search for stuff we already have) but i haven't spent ANY time focusing on attracting people to contribute. It has always just happened naturally. We had the platform for people to get their voices out. But, that was before the days of cell phones, pro-level video editing capabilities on a phone, and broad availability and adoption of media platforms like youtube, facebook, ticktock, etc etc... Creators didn't have a platform besides blogspot to get their stuff out there. They didn't have the tech skills to stand up a website.

Today, you don't need any skill. even XF has gotten so 'easy' that cloud doesn't need any tech skill to host a board.

Honestly, i haven't had a "good" article since 2010 by a member.

Profit sharing, incentives, pay outs need to be considered. How can i attract a user to create pro-level content on my site instead of yt? And why would they type it out and take stills if they are capable of filming it?
and if they film it, are they just going to host on youtube anyway? which defeats the purpose entirely.

The platform we provide is obsolete.

I love XF. I love forums.

But, we aren't competitive anymore in so many ways.

Details, data, etc will always be better in text. But sheer entertainment, and 'seeing it done', will always be better in a video if the video is done well.

XF is not video- or any media-first, it's text-first. It's also silo'ed into each user's domain.
I can't easily go from Joe's build to Bob's build without changing sites. On yt, it's just the 'next thing to look at' because they thought i would like it, and in turn, show me 5 ads.

Meanwhile, the text collects pull queries... people looking for specific things, but not casual entertainment/flipping through the channels about things they care about/are into/like the watch as they sit on the couch.

Last edited:
It's true but the comments under the videos are text. So sooner or later, whatever the media used, we end up writing something, more or less interesting, of course, but it ends up as text all the same. Maybe that's our glimmer of hope.
on my tv, roku device, i can't even see the comments. i need to sync my phone to the tv to pull it up. which is awesome by the way.

you sometimes do things for the sole joy of doing what you love.

I keep my board open today because:

1- there's 20-ish of us that go there regularly and have been for the past 20 years. we're family who never met (most of us). Without it, we probably would lose touch.
2- it is still profitable, when you factor out my sweat equity. it doesn't cost me to keep the lights on.
3- there's countless pages of good information on it that brings 100s and 1000s of people a day to it. I'm helping them. There's some satisfaction in that.
4 - because of #1, i don't want to sell. It's not worth much these days, but i also hate the look/feel/management style of corporate boards. I honestly think they've ruined every community they've acquired. I can't name one site i used to frequent that is better now in their hands,

Over the years, i've spun up a dozen size projects, new topics, etc and not a single of one them ever took off. Despite having a cross functional audience to market to.

My heart wasn't in it like it was in 2001. More so, my time working a mundane night job are long over and my side project bandwidth is 15 min a day, 12 of which i spend on here it seems.

It is impossible to compete with a platform that pays out for content. As much as you and I love our sites, creators don't. Maybe some old school members have some love, but if they have to buy a drone, and editing software, and spend hours making videos, they want return on that.

Can you pay more than youtube does to creators, give them the exposure yt does (get on people's tv's) and serve that bandwidth yourself (not using youtube to host) and still make a profft?

i don't think so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom