This simple add-on allows you to define a minimum length for user messages. It includes an option to allow you to decide whether BBCode should be included in the message length.
- Compatible XF Versions:
- Visible Branding:
This mod is useful to prevent spammy posts (where the 'Like' button could well have been used) and to stop people from using empty BBCode tags if they're getting clever. This also stops image macros from being used (a one-image reply with nothing else).
- Specify minimum message length to Posts.
- Choose whether BBCode or Quotes count towards a message length.
- Specify separate lengths for First Posts.
- Specify a minimum length for Profile Posts.
- Specify a minimum length for Profile Post Comments.
There's really not a lot to this mod, as you'll see now...
(Located in ACP -> Options -> Messages)
1. Upload the contents of the 'upload' folder to your xenForo root directory, taking care to ensure you overwrite the previous version. (Don't replace your entire library directory like my FTP client once tried to do - your forum WILL die if that happens!)
2. Head into your ACP, find 'Manage Add-ons' and 'Upgrade' the 'Minimum Post Length Enforcer' add-on.
3. Go to Options -> Messages and ensure that the settings are to your liking (some new options may have been added.)
0. If you previously installed Robbo's 'Minimum Post Length 1.0' add-on, you should uninstall it. Same goes if you have any other add-ons installed that offer similar functionality.
1. Upload the contents of the 'upload' folder to your xenForo root directory. If you don't know how to do this, then it's time to make friends with Google. :3
2. Head into your ACP and 'Install' the file 'addon-MinPostLengthEnforcer.xml'.
3. In the ACP, go to Options -> Messages, and edit the Post Length settings as you see fit.
'Minimum Length' is set to '10' by default, 'Include BBCode' is set to Enabled by default.
* Fixed bad variable name that was causing the minimum length number in the error message to be blank.
? I didn't update the checksum for this patch, so if you do a File Integrity Check, it will probably show "unexpected contents".
+ Option to count or exclude Quotes from Limit
? Rewrite and minor re-structure of the main function's logic
+ Separate Limit for First Post in New Thread (suggested by giorgino)
Planned Future Features
- User-group Immunity to Limit (e.g. Admins, Mods)
Kier and Mike - For xenForo.
Robbo - For creating the original iteration of this addon.
Alteran (This Joker) - The fool that modded and re-uploaded this addon.
As per Robbo's wishes, his original add-on is open-source. Same thing applies here - this code is yours to do whatever the heck you like.
Unmaintained Minimum Post Length Enforcer 1.0.4
Ensures messages are a minimum length, with or without BBCode
- New Fixes, also now supports Profile Posts & Comments Sep 29, 2016
- Quick Bug Patch to v1.0.3 - v126.96.36.199 May 13, 2015
- Added option to exclude Quotes May 12, 2015