Phrase system/translation

The main problem with languages on vBulletin.com is that there was no requirement to release under open source license. As a result, if a language went out-of-date, it could get pulled from the site, or suspended at the author's request. This is totally unacceptable. Posting a language on XenForo.com should be under an open source license (obviously not GPL) so that each time we are not starting from scratch.

Perhaps a language merge tool should be offered which compares the dates on each phrase (each phrase has a date field, right?) and asks "Merge these two languages, using the most recent phrase in each case?" or alternatively, a page could be presented which shows all the conflicts and you choose A or B.

Language translation should be a collaborative, open process which takes place on vBulletin.com. Hell, we could even have a Language Translation section of XenForo where people download builds of a language, change it, and reupload, with the files being tagged with date, author name, and notes. And it's not wasted effort, cause XenForo will have a Download/Files Manager that supports FTP Layer and Flash Upload right? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The main problem with languages on vBulletin.com is that there was no requirement to release under open source license. As a result, if a language went out-of-date, it could get pulled from the site, or suspended at the author's request. This is totally unacceptable. Posting a language on XenForo.com should be under an open source license (obviously not GPL) so that each time we are not starting from scratch.
As Kier already wrote, crowd sourcing will be used to create the translations, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

I'm up for br-pt translation, would love to help fellow compatriots when the time comes.

And by reading the "what's new" forum here, I think I'm pratically sold already. Just don't charge $1000 for it.

BTW, wish I had Kier ninja coding skills.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with regard to $1,000 prices.
what about the ninja coding skills
zoinho.gif

I would like to do the dutch translations, but I rather do them alone then in a group tbh. The group that did the dutch translations for vB did a terrible job. I think I had to redo 40% because it was so badly translated. This gives the software a bad reputation too. Unless we work with experienced people, that would be a different story.

I would like to do the dutch translations, but I rather do them alone then in a group tbh. The group that did the dutch translations for vB did a terrible job. I think I had to redo 40% because it was so badly translated. This gives the software a bad reputation too. Unless we work with experienced people, that would be a different story.

They have already said that the translation is going to be crowd sourced, so everyone can submit translations and vote them up/down.

They have already said that the translation is going to be crowd sourced, so everyone can submit translations and vote them up/down.
That's unfortunate. This has two problems:

1. everyone translates in a different style. One person might use other words (synonyms) and you end up with a inconsistent translation. I've seen it happen.

2. because you're dealing with a group, it's harder to control and you might get some good translators and some bad ones all mixed up. Why not ask for references and pick one (or at most two) that do a really good job, instead of ten that do a poor one?

Just my 2c.

1. everyone translates in a different style. One person might use other words (synonyms) and you end up with a inconsistent translation. I've seen it happen.

2. because you're dealing with a group, it's harder to control and you might get some good translators and some bad ones all mixed up. Why not ask for references and pick one (or at most two) that do a really good job, instead of ten that do a poor one?

Just my 2c.
Depends wheter we can discuss about the phrases being translated with the "team"... I guess in this particular item, everyone is more willing to agree on reason. You can always translate the bits you don't like on your installation. Also, being too neurotic (as I was once) wanting to translate everything my way is a little of a waste of time (imo, nothing aimed at you).

This is important enough for me to spend a lot of time on. The dutch language pack for my current forum software contained embarassing spelling errors, sometimes pointed out to me by members in public (even more embarassing). No, I'm going to translate everything myself this time.

Also, translating the entire system alone is a big, time consuming work which I couldn't complete in many years. (5000 phrases) I would like some help this time around.

I did the official vBSEO dutch translation in about one month (one hour of work each day). vB took me a year to complete, but you can start with the most common phrases and do the rest later.

XF doesn't have as much phrases, so it's doable.

Just my 2c.
Many people can work on a translation and produce stellar results. The only thing needed is to agree on some basic translation strategies, such as certain vocabulary terms, the form of address (for languages that have different forms), certain stylistic choices, and of course, correct capitalisation and spelling. Once these things are agreed upon and in place, then all the translators have to do is conform to these standards and the translation will be fine.

Many people can work on a translation and produce stellar results. The only thing needed is to agree on some basic translation strategies, such as certain vocabulary terms, the form of address (for languages that have different forms), certain stylistic choices, and of course, correct capitalisation and spelling. Once these things are agreed upon and in place, then all the translators have to do is conform to these standards and the translation will be fine.
Thanks for your reply. I really think it's hard to agree on an almost countless range of similar words though, there is no way everyone is always going to use the same words to describe something. This isn't something you can agree on in a few posts. Language is a rather complex thing, with thousands of possible differences depending on the person doing the translations. Inconsistency to some level is most likely to be unavoidable. It happened to vB, and they also had the dutch translation thread to communicate.

But I'm not the one deciding how it should be done, I'm just giving my experience here as an amateur translator. It's up to the staff to think this over and come to a conclusion. I'll be doing the translations privately either way.

Top Bottom