Phrase system/translation

Not only is it fully phrased, we have developed a crowd-sourcing translation system built on top of the XenForo framework, so that you all can help us to produce non-English versions in record time.

We will deploy the translator on XenForo.com hopefully in the next few days.
In fact, this is what I hoped to hear. Excellent news, really!

Excellent news! I can't wait to start on the Dutch language with my fellow Dutchiez

Maybe an idea to contact Applinet in the Netherlands also? As Dutch vBulletin customers know, they have produced an excellent professional translation of vBulletin 3.8:
http://www.applinet.nl/varia/vbulletin/

It is because of this translation that our company/foundation was able to offer a professional platform to our Dutch speaking members/visitors. I am not able to use (with all due respect) a translation that is created by volunteers community members, like the one that was created that way for vBulletin before Applinet stepped into all this. I needs to be professional. This is so important to us (and the future of xenForo I might think), that I am willing to contribute money for it, if I am going to use xenForo in the future that is. Please no unprofessional community efforts.

Not only is it fully phrased, we have developed a crowd-sourcing translation system built on top of the XenForo framework, so that you all can help us to produce non-English versions in record time.

We will deploy the translator on XenForo.com hopefully in the next few days.

superb, count on me for the italian language :)

Maybe an idea to contact Applinet in the Netherlands also? As Dutch vBulletin customers know, they have produced an excellent professional translation of vBulletin 3.8:
http://www.applinet.nl/varia/vbulletin/

It is because of this translation that our company/foundation was able to offer a professional platform to our Dutch speaking members/visitors. I am not able to use (with all due respect) a translation that is created by volunteers community members, like the one that was created that way for vBulletin before Applinet stepped into all this. I needs to be professional. This is so important to us (and the future of xenForo I might think), that I am willing to contribute money for it, if I am going to use xenForo in the future that is. Please no unprofessional community efforts.

I'd wait to see what the community actually produces before passing judgement on contributions that have yet to happen. The crowd-sourcing route is exactly how Facebook was translated into 100 different languages, which turned out pretty well.

Yep again i must stress that's how to get something to work. Get the common man involved. That's how facebook does it, the users does the moderating and the moderators performs the final action.

I am sure many understand that the area of language packs/translations is wide and filled with intricacies. Our expertise lies in developing the software, an area on which we continually focus, rightly so. Part of what is developed is the ability to use other languages and for another language, a translation is necessary. The language and or translation is open to the forum admin/owner to decide, for reasons that I would say are obvious.

Asking the community to contribute in such areas is what we do and there are very good language packs/translations created in this manner, either by individuals, teams or communities. Examples have already been mentioned. Admins/owners have the choice and also the choice to source translations outside of this resource.

The importance of professional translations

I'd wait to see what the community actually produces before passing judgement on contributions that have yet to happen. The crowd-sourcing route is exactly how Facebook was translated into 100 different languages, which turned out pretty well.

Asking the community to contribute in such areas is what we do and there are very good language packs/translations created in this manner, either by individuals, teams or communities. Examples have already been mentioned. Admins/owners have the choice and also the choice to source translations outside of this resource.

Thank you for joining in Ashley! You are both also right in your points.

To be clear: I am really happy that xenForo approaches the community in this way! It is not my intention to judge beforehand and I know that it can be possible to created good translations by the community (phpBB2 is a good example). But unfortunately I have a different experience in the past with the community efforts of trying to translate vBulletin:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1095103&highlight=dutch+language#post1095103

To be clear: I think what Floris does for the vB community in overall is fantastic, and I certainly do not see it as his fault. It's just that in all fairness the community created vB language pack is painfully bad. Unsuitable for a professional organization that wants to run vBulletin in Dutch. That is why a professional stepped in:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?182706-New-Dutch-Translation-in-the-works

... and provide an excellent professional translation. And I need that level of quality will I ever be able to switch to xenForo for our Dutch platform (5 million hits per month and counting). We have a company/foundation behind our vB3.8 powered website and we want to present ourselves as a professional organization. We are not a hobbyist site... so a hobbyist (with all due respect) translation of xenForo just does not work.

Like I said: I am even willing to raise a fund -along with fellow Dutch customers- to be able to contract a professional translator for this. It is that important to us.

I actually modified the Dutch translation packet I used a bit because I didn't like all the choices they made. I have no idea what translation file I used back then, however.

The importance of professional translations

Thank you for joining in Ashley! You are both also right in your points.

To be clear: I am really happy that xenForo approaches the community in this way! It is not my intention to judge beforehand and I know that it can be possible to created good translations by the community (phpBB2 is a good example). But unfortunately I have a different experience in the past with the community efforts of trying to translate vBulletin:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...language#post1095103

To be clear: I think what Floris does for the vB community in overall is fantastic, and I certainly do not see it as his fault. It's just that in all fairness the community created vB language pack is painfully bad. Unsuitable for a professional organization that wants to run vBulletin in Dutch. That is why a professional stepped in:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...slation-in-the-works

... and provide an excellent professional translation. And I need that level of quality will I ever be able to switch to xenForo for our Dutch platform (5 million hits per month and counting). We have a company/foundation behind our vB3.8 powered website and we want to present ourselves as a professional organization. We are not a hobbyist site... so a hobbyist (with all due respect) translation of xenForo just does not work.

Like I said: I am even willing to raise a fund -along with fellow Dutch customers- to be able to contract a professional translator for this. It is that important to us.

what can i say ... obviously the professional translations are the better choice for all (XF itself and customers/users), but i think that without the hobbyist translations you can't develop the xf project fast ... cause i don't think that there are many people in the 'business' that want to pay what they believe to be free ... so what's the solution? simply the enthusiast (like us) that provide them a 'fist look' good translation ... and share it just for free ...

obviously, is a different matter if you want to make money with translations ... hope you can get what i say ... :)

If you need a professional translation for your project you might hire one for yourself. I'm with Ashley on this. XenForo should focus on developing the software and they are doing a great job so far.

If you need a professional translation for your project you might hire one for yourself. I'm with Ashley on this. XenForo should focus on developing the software and they are doing a great job so far.

Yes, certainly. I think I might understand why companies like Internet Brands/Invision and now xenForo will not provide professional translations themselves: because it's too costly and can not guarantee the quality if they do not speak the language themselves. Unfortunately a sub-par hobbyist community translation is simply no option either, so yes: hiring someone is.

Sorry if I sound dumb but with this crowd-sourcing translation system which will allow you to translate our forums in different languages, how is this any different to vB's phrase system?

I mean what's the difference. I don't understand what everyone is so excited about.

Sorry if I sound dumb but with this crowd-sourcing translation system which will allow you to translate our forums in different languages, how is this any different to vB's phrase system?

I mean what's the difference. I don't understand what everyone is so excited about.

There is a phrase system, but what the 'crowd-sourcing' is basically, we want to release packs, but don't speak Hungarian, Dutch, French, Spanish, etc. so we give you a method to say hey: "Hello" is "Bonjour" in French. Thus, it gets added to the system to create such a pack.

There is a phrase system, but what the 'crowd-sourcing' is basically, we want to release packs, but don't speak Hungarian, Dutch, French, Spanish, etc. so we give you a method to say hey: "Hello" is "Bonjour" in French. Thus, it gets added to the system to create such a pack.

So, it translate any word from one language to a language of your choice?

Top Bottom